Specialist Commodity Tax
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Specialist Commodity Tax, you will design and maintain the commodity tax system logic to business processes to minimize tax liabilities. You will work collaboratively with business units to establish the tax status of recurring transactions, to ensure efficient tax reporting, and advise on ways to minimize tax costs to the Canadian Pacific Railway Company and its subsidiaries.
- Coordinate the design of the tax system logic, including:
- Assess the effects of commodity tax legislation changes and implement the changes into the tax system logic;
- Establish and validate system tax logic for business processes to enhance effective tax compliance; and
- Monitor related data integration;
- Review commodity tax returns and refund claims for validity and accuracy within the prescribed time period to ensure compliance with all legislative requirements. This also includes the facilitation of tax compliance and tax recovery initiatives;
- Coordinate government commodity tax audits to complete them efficiently and minimize audit assessments, including collaborating with business units and responding to audit queries with complete and timely responses;
- Identify commodity tax opportunities and exposures and develop and execute commodity tax compliance and recovery initiatives; and
- Respond to routine commodity tax queries from business units.
- Undergraduate degree in information technology, accounting, finance, or an accounting designation, or equivalent experience;
- Ability to read and understand legislation and governmental administrative policies;
- At least four years of commodity tax experience or SAP experience;
- Knowledge of railway business would be an asset;
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Able to prioritize workload under tight and firm deadlines;
- Strong analytical and communication skills, including experience in effectively communicating with larger or important groups;
- Demonstrated independent worker; and
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").