Director Of Finance
Glenmore Christian Academy (GCA) is a private Alberta accredited Christian school located in the Southwest of Calgary, Alberta specializing in the education of children in grades K-9. GCA is a member of AISCA (Association of Independent Schools and Colleges in Alberta). GCA’s mission is to educate children in a dynamic Christian environment dedicated to excellence in learning and life development. GCA has a head of school, two principals and a staff of 80 serving approximately 900 students.
GCA is offering an opportunity for a full time Director of Finance. Under the direction of the Head of School and mentorship of the Board of Directors, this individual will be responsible for overseeing all financial and external reporting aspects of the organization and ensuring the strategic direction of the finance function while supporting Glenmore Christian Academy’s mission, vision and values.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Prepares the annual budget in consultation with each department
- Prepares annual, quarterly, and monthly financial statements along with variance analysis
- Performs financial analysis, forecasting and monitoring of each program offered at the school
- Ensures policies and procedures are up to date and compliant with CRA and other regulatory bodies such as Alberta Education and Employment Standards
- Provides financial analysis and recommendation for capital investments, tuition fee decisions, and contract negotiations
- Guides the cash management and risk management of the organization including monitoring of debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Responsible for coordination and execution of effective and efficient year-end audits with external auditors
- Approves payroll and contracts for employees
- Evaluates and provides recommendation on compensation, benefit plans, and other HR matters
- Ensures the timely, accurate completion of all government reporting including Alberta Education submissions, GST filing, WCB, and pension plan reports.
- Ensures accuracy and compliance for issuing official donation receipts
- Maintains donor relations
- Ensures regulatory compliance for fundraising activities
- Manages cash disbursement
- Administers financial aid fund
- Responsible for delinquent accounts
- Oversees financial components of registration
- As a Christian ministry, we require our employees to sign our statement of faith.
- Fluent in English.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation required.
- Undergraduate degree in finance or related discipline.
- 5+ years of post-CPA experience, last three at a manager/controller level or above.
- Strong technical skills in accounting, including planning, budgeting, financial reporting, tax and regulatory compliance and treasury management;
- Demonstrates capacity to think strategically with expertise in complex problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills; displays good judgment.
- Excellent knowledge of HR/Finance functions
- Strong organizational and time management skills to effectively manage multiple priorities and meet reporting deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by ability to provide effective leadership to a team while maintaining positive relationships with families and other stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrates initiative in recognizing opportunities for improvement and efficiency, with a willingness to challenge status quo
- Previous experience working in a non-profit setting is an asset.
- Possesses and promotes a high level of ethical standards.
- Understands the application of discretion with confidential matters.
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada. Local candidates will be given preference.
Glenmore Christian Academy offers a compensation package competitive with public schools in Alberta.
Interested candidates are asked to send their documents by email to email@example.com . Please quote posting number: 2018/19.20. Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
The following attachments should also be included:
- Cover Letter
- Resume summarizing training and experience
- Minimum of three professional references that can be contacted
- A statement of faith
- Pastoral reference (recent within three months)
- A criminal record check will be required if you are the successful candidate
No agencies or telephone inquiries please. We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.