- Based in Calgary, Red Deer or Edmonton
- Commensurate with experience.
- Job Industry
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Group2 Architecture Interior Design Ltd. (Group2) is a firm focused on using collaborative techniques to
deliver value to clients in the recreational, educational, commercial and health care sectors. Group2 was
established in Red Deer in 1985 and currently has studios in five locations including Red Deer,
Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon and Regina with approximately 70 staff and eight principals.
Group2 requires a full time Financial Controller. The Financial Controller will be based in one of our
Alberta studios (Calgary, Red Deer or Edmonton). There will be a requirement for periodic travel
between studio locations. The Financial Controller will be responsible for all accounting related functions
and operations and should possess a sound understanding and knowledge of professional service firms.
The Financial Controller will report directly to the principal in charge of Financials and the entire Principal
The Financial Controller will be required to perform the following duties and undertake the following
responsibilities in a professional manner:
Note: This may not be an inclusive list and a number of these duties will be completed in collaboration
with accounting and administrative team members.
· Determine, in concert with the principal team, the company financial strategy.
· Design and implement accounting controls and procedures.
· Maintain all financial records and appropriate ledgers.
· Manage cash flow and banking relationships.
· Prepare monthly and annual financial statements for the Principal Team.
· Attend Executive financial meetings with principal team members.
· Present financial reports and related information.
· Collaborate with our Risk Management Team to ensure all contracts and agreements meet internal
standards for accuracy and completeness before execution.
· Ensure that all premises, equipment, vehicles, and business risks are adequately insured.
· Compare, negotiate, and provide recommendations for insurance coverage to the principal team.
· Accurately prepare all information required for the filing of Group2 tax returns by an external
· Manage all tax-related matters.
· Ensure accuracy of all accounting records.
· Ensure full compliance with GAAP and ASPE policies and practices.
· Effectively manage all accounting functions including A/P, A/R, revenue accounting, general
ledger, financial statement preparation and analysis, information preparation, budgeting,
forecasting and planning.
· Analyze and ensure the accurate collection, preparation and integrity of invoices, billings, bad
debt, vendor contracts and hold backs.
· Work closely with the Executive Team to analyze, monitor, and improve financial controls.
· Collaborate with the Project Management Lead Team to develop project financial performance
data that is both relevant and informative.
· Oversee all activities of the accounting department including management, onboarding and
training of financial support staff.
· Prepare and manage employee contracts, time sheets, attendance, vacation entitlements, benefit
entitlements, and personnel records.
· Oversee bi-weekly payroll.
· Develop annual operating budgets in concert with the Principal Team.
· Prepare regular budget progress reports to assist in monitoring and interpreting results
Keep the Principal Team fully informed with respect to operational results and cash flow.
· Provide financial information and analysis to support decision-making and recommendations.
· Demonstrate an innovative and forward-thinking approach to problem solving and provide cutting
· Oversee studio lease agreements and ensure effective lease management including but not
limited to AP/AR, insurance, property management and maintenance contracts.
· Monitor equipment rentals and leases and negotiate contract renewals (cell phones, office
· Ensure full compliance with WCB, employment standards and related legislation. Be aware of
updates to legislation and inform the Principal Team.
· Recommend cost saving measures.
· Prepare and complete principal invoicing and year end summaries.
· Serve in the role of Security Official for Group2.
The ideal candidate will:
· Demonstrate strong leadership and lead by example.
· Be proactive and self-motivated.
· Be flexible and adaptive to change and willing to take on new challenges.
· Be highly organized and methodical.
· Possess superior oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
· Work effectively within a group environment or independently.
· Possess high standards for personal integrity and ethics; and maintain similarly high standards in
all aspects of business.
· Possess impeccable communication skills, the ability to work collaboratively with the Principal
Team and have excellent analytical abilities.
· Actively seek and implement data visualization techniques to support professionals in a visuallyoriented
· CGA, CMA, CA, or CPA accounting designation.
· Minimum 5 years as an accounting manager or Controller.
· Advanced to expert computer and software skills including MSWord and MSExcel.
· Experience with Deltek Vision is an asset.
· Knowledge of the architecture industry is an asset.
· Will be required to achieve Secret (Level II) Personal Security Screening through the Online
Industrial Security Services (OLISS).