September 1, 2018 (negotiable)
Who Are We?
HRJ Consulting Ltd. provides grants management services to Donors who have a vision of people in our communities being healthy, educated and economically self-sufficient. Our goal is to conduct a seamless and professional charitable giving program across Western Canada and the Midwest United States. Our head office is in Calgary, Alberta. Visit our website at www.hrjconsulting.com for more information.
The Controller is a core role within the Executive Management team, with an overall responsibility of the reporting and accounting functions of HRJ Consulting Ltd. and its external partners. The primary focus of this role is to ensure that all financial records are maintained accurately, and that information is disseminated on a timely basis. The Controller works with Executive Management and the Charity Management Group to foster a collaborative budgeting and reporting process, while also assisting in the preparation of financial reports and exhibits for external partners. This role is also responsible for leading, planning and organizing the year-end audits and is the main point-of-contact for all financial matters. This is a part-time position.
- maintenance of integrity of accounting systems, their management and reconciliation to external sources
- internal reporting on activities as generated within accounting systems
- Canadian Income Tax requirements of corporate and charitable entities, including all generally related employment, GST and similar matters
- examination, analysis and identification of errors (if any) in reporting from various segments of the internal and external organizations; anticipation of potential problems and future needs
- continual liaison and communication with Executive Management and the Charity Management Group
- preparation of internal and external financial reporting, monthly, quarterly or annually as may be required, including formal financial statements
- preparation and filing of Canadian corporate or charity tax returns and matters related thereto and other regulatory filings (payroll etc.)
- management of cross-border tax and reporting processes, liaison with external accountants and legal teams and provision of suitable quality information as may be required to advise and guide management decisions from time to time
Qualifications and Professional Experience
- undergraduate degree in accounting; CPA designation preferred
- five+ years of experience in accounting/finance as a Controller or comparable level
- background in the nonprofit sector is preferable
Skills and Attributes
- highly developed accounting and analytical skills and an independent thinker
- strong communicator: able to identify issues rapidly and explain technical points in lay persons’ terms
- ability to research issues independently and provide cogent, practical and accurate advice in areas including accounting, finance, taxation, employment, management, charity operations, inter-organization and inter-country processes
- strong ability to learn and acquire new knowledge, integrating same into current workflow; ability to enhance current operations to prepare for future changes
- functional knowledge of Canadian corporate tax and preparation of related returns, employment issues including general employment standards legislation, taxation of benefits and similar areas
- knowledge of US charity tax and employment issues is considered an asset
- well-developed skills in Microsoft Excel; able to create and generate accurate reporting
Why Work at HRJ Consulting Ltd.?
- small organization committed to making a difference
- competitive compensation and benefit package
- friendly team and family-friendly atmosphere
- flexible, results-focused workplace
If you think you have what it takes to fill this position, we would be happy to review your application. To express your interest, submit your current resume, cover letter, references and salary expectations to email@example.com by July 20, 2018. Any offer of employment will be conditional upon a successful criminal background check.
We thank all interested applicants, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.