Manager, Finance and Corporate Services
Manager, Finance and Corporate Services
CLOSES July 27th, 2018.
The Manager of Finance/Corporate Services is the Chief Financial Officer of the Town of Turner Valley. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Manager, Finance/Corporate Services is responsible for providing effective leadership and direction to the overall corporate/ shared services programs with emphasis in accounting, finance, taxation and assessment, properties, insurance and risk management and to a lesser extent information technology and human resources. The Manager will be responsible to lead a diverse team of professionals with a focus on building effective working relationships with Council, departments and staff at all levels of the organization.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
As the employee responsible for the overall finance and corporate services department of the Town of Turner Valley, the primary responsibilities of this position are as follows:
- Serving- the public, co-workers, and external stakeholders in the areas of financial accounting and reporting
- Reporting- financial statements & year end working papers and required reports for the Federal & Provincial governments
- Budgeting- leading the operational and fiscal activities of the Organization including current & multi-year operating and capital budgets
- Supervising- staff in accordance with Town policies and procedures including but not limited to coaching, mentoring and motivating; and, conducting performance reviews, goal setting, and providing leadership to the Finance and Corporate Services department
- Communicating- consistently and effectively with the Chief Administrative Officer, other managers, staff, and the public.
- Leading and Developing- systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the department and initiating grant applications processes, levies, and other finance- related matters
- Contributing- to other initiatives of the Town including operations, training, emergency management, or other areas required by the Chief Administrative Officer
- Interpreting- legislation and other regulations & standards such as the MGA, PSAB, GAPP, Employment Standards, OH&S, Human Rights Legislation, and where applicable providing guidance to Council, staff and other stakeholders
- Controlling- internal processes, principles and practices to mitigate risk, maximize value, safeguard assets and ensure accuracy of reported financial results
- Supporting- Information Technology and other contract management requirements
- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree in Accounting from a recognized post-secondary institution with preference given to candidates possessing a CPA or enrolled in the CPA program
- Seven years experience in a municipal government environment including five years at a supervisory level
- A keen understanding of customer service and demonstrated ability to assess and respond the needs of both internal and external customers
- Completion of or enrolment in courses in NACLAA/GFOA is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills that enable the individual to convey information to staff, council, the public and media.
- Other relevant experience in the areas of the Public-Sector Accounting Standards, the Municipal Government Act, financial reporting and forecasting processes and techniques may be considered equivalent
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
The Town of Turner Valley offers competitive compensation and benefits that include health/dental coverage and a registered retirement savings plan.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter that clearly shows the link between his/her experience and the requirements of the position to:
Chief Administrative Officer
Town of Turner Valley
The Town of Turner Valley would like to thank all those that apply, however, only the successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls.
More search results
Robert Half Canada
Auditor 3, Compliance Audit
HEARTS: Helping Everyone Access Resources Through Support
Volunteer Accountant to Act as Auditor
Calgary Multicultural Centre
Financial Audit Professional / Professionnel de l…
Office of the Auditor General of Canada