Benefits and Pensions Financial Specialist
- City of Calgary
- Calgary, AB
- Job Industry
- Finance, Government/Public Administration
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
As a Benefits and Pensions Financial Specialist, you will be a member of a dynamic team reporting to the Finance Leader of Pensions Finance. You will provide support in the financial management and administration of the defined benefit pension plans offered by The City of Calgary. Primary duties include:
- Provide standard and customized financial, management, and investment reports to Finance management, The City’s Pension Governance Committee, plan administrators and other external parties.
- Prepare financial analysis, forecasting and budgeting.
- Prepare periodic and annual financial statements, working papers, and supporting schedules for audit and actuarial purposes.
- Process and record financial transactions for pension contributions and payments to service providers and legislative agencies, in accordance with agreements and regulatory requirements.
- Analyze and reconcile related general ledger accounts and source documents.
- Liaise and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders in the ongoing operation of the pension plans; assist with the development, monitoring, and training on policies, procedures, risk management, internal controls, and financial systems
- A Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation or accredited Canadian equivalent professional accounting designation; a minimum of 4 years related accounting experience including at least 1 year of benefits/pensions experience.
- Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word) and PeopleSoft (or similar enterprise systems) Financials and Human Resources/Payroll applications.
- Well-developed communication skills, demonstrated ability to work in a team, initiative, problem solving, technical skills, attention to detail and accuracy, and the ability to learn and quickly assimilate information.
- Applicants will be tested for appropriate skills.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Union: CUPE Local 38
Position Type: Permanent
Compensation: Pay Grade 11 $39.46 – 52.76 per hour (2017 Rates)
Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week
Business Unit: Finance
Location: 800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Days of Work: This position works a 5 day work week with 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.