Reporting to the Director, Practical Experience the Practical Experience Specialist is responsible for the overall direction and management of the CPA Practical Experience Requirements (PER) program. This includes overall planning, implementation, and tracking of specific projects and operational tasks that support all PER processes by ensuring coordination and communication between support functions and by identifying and improving processes in support of departmental and organizational goals.
Please note that this is a part time (three days a week) 18 month contract position to cover a maternity leave, with the possibility of extension.
- Prepare Pre-approved program (PPR) applications and review for quality and consistency before presentation to the Registrar.
- Attend Registration Committee meetings to present unique PPR applications and candidate experience cases.
- Update the Registration Committee on changes to the CPA Practical Experience Requirements and train new members.
- Responsible for ensuring the Registrations department is kept up to date on changes to Practical Experience that may affect them; this includes identifying implications of potential changes and communicating them appropriately.
- Attend regional or national meetings to ensure Alberta's interests are represented and understand the implications of any potential changes being made on a regional or national basis for our candidates and employers. Participate in initiatives and recommend changes to national processes/policies.
- Liaise with national colleagues on a regular basis to identify issues and ensure consistency.
- Ensure overall consistency between PPR applications and evaluations of candidate experience within Alberta and nationally through spot checks and implementation of calibration processes.
- Primary resource for firms/candidates who have questions about public accounting as it relates to certification as a CPA.
- Primary contact for large employers/firms on CPA requirements and student issues.
- Participate in development of practical experience policies and materials for candidates.
- Provide support to the Registrations department in the assessment of member experience for the rights to practice public accounting.
- Assist the Director with departmental goals, plans, and performance measurement, as required.
- Must be a Chartered Professional Accountant in good standing.
- Familiarity with the CPA PER and PPR Programs a benefit.
- Proven ability to plan, organize, and execute projects according to established business plans.
- Ability to work in a fluid, changing environment.
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills.
- Ability to explain and demonstrate technical knowledge and application in a practical manner.
- Works well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work within a team and independently.
- Value and Ethics
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Organizational Awareness
- Results Management
- Risk Management
- Team Leadership
- Strategic Thinking
- Fast paced work environment.
- Some travel may be required.