Finance Leader-Pensions Finance
- City of Calgary
- Calgary, AB
- Job Industry
- Finance, Government/Public Administration
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
This position is responsible for providing sound financial management and quality financial reporting relating to the pension plans of The City of Calgary and its employees. Responsibilities Includes:
- Present complex financial reports and recommendations clearly and succinctly to the Pension Governance Committee (PGC) at the quarterly meetings, responding to questions and requests for further information.
- Encompass all financial decision-making activities in order to accomplish the objectives of The City and the defined benefit (DB) pension plans it offers.
- Understand financial systems, payroll, the employee benefit program/budget and external plan administrator systems/procedures as well as the regulatory requirements and accounting standards for pension plans (ASPP).
- Coordinates external audit resources for annual financial pension statement audits under ASPP.
- Collaborate with Human Resources (HR) on joint Finance/HR development and implementation of internal processes and policies to strengthen the overall corporate governance of the pension plans.
- Leads the Pension Accounting team to ensure that clients receive the best possible service.
A degree and professional accounting designation is required plus minimum 8 years financial accounting experience in a large organization.
Strong knowledge and understanding of financial principles and accounting processes for public sector accounting.
Specialized knowledge of defined benefit pension plans including a good understanding of actuarial valuations for accounting and funding purposes and the associated reporting requirements.
Financial pension governance training is an asset (for example Advanced Management Governance Standards).
Business processes and acumen including leading change management capabilities.
Excellent communication skills along with experience in managing, mentoring and coaching staff.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Business Unit: Finance
Position Type: Permanent
Location: 800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Compensation: Level F $88,307 - 135,252 per annum
Days of Work: This position typically works a 5 day
work week, earning 1 day off in each 3 week cycle.
Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week
Apply By: July 20, 2018
Job ID #: 301024