1 Year Maternity Leave
August 27, 2018 – September 2019
Reporting directly to the Director of Financial Services, the Municipal Accountant will provide a diverse range of financial accounting services to, and oversight of, the Town’s Corporate Services Department, as well as participate in various interdepartmental projects that may arise from time to time.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Analyze internal spending patterns and identify trends and recommendations for the purpose of realizing future cost savings and organizational efficiencies.
- Establishing as necessary general ledger accounts and accounting structures—monitoring, reviewing and reporting on a regular basis.
- Responsible for monthly journal entry data for all departments with supervisor sign-off.
- Oversees facilitating of the bank reconciliation process for all Town bank accounts, including generating and seeking approval on any entries required in order to record automatic deposits of withdrawals, returned cheques, or service charges.
- Research, recommend and implement continuous improvements to contracts, systems, procedures and reporting.
- Monitor departmental spending within approved policies and budget. Ensure the collection of corporate revenues.
- Creation and distribution of monthly departmental variance reports (to show departments where they are at relative to their annual budget allocations).
- Complete bank reconciliations and journal entries.
- University degree in a related field with a minimum of 5 years’ experience; a combination of education and experience may be considered
- Relevant professional accreditation is preferred; or willingness to obtain
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
- Knowledge of accepted accounting rules, practices, tax laws, and reporting requirements
- Capable of maintaining a high level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; specifically, MS Excel, Word and Outlook
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org submitting your cover letter and resume, by July 22, 2018.