Specialist, US Taxation
Clean water and reliable electricity are at the heart of what we do. We proudly keep the lights on and the water flowing in over 100 communities across North America. With a rich 125-year history, EPCOR has ambitions to be one of North America’s premier providers of essential services, and we have the top employer and sustainability awards to prove it. If you’re looking for new opportunities, people who care and work that matters, apply today to find a career where you matter more. Check out epcor.com/careers to find out more.
The Specialist, US Taxation is accountable for the performance of EPCOR Utilities Inc.’s US taxation function. This includes ensuring accurate and timely preparation of US income tax and other returns, US tax-related research, leading US tax-related business development and the preparation of tax provision working papers
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Taxation, the Specialist, US Taxation is accountable for, but not limited to:
- Providing input to the Taxation department’s plans and directions.
- Developing and implementing goals to align with the Corporate Finance business plan.
- Building and managing a strong team of employees, including recruiting, retaining, and developing them.
- Identifying the necessary budget requirements for the provision of timely and accurate US tax services.
- Developing, implementing and reviewing taxation processes to ensure compliance with policies, standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Maintaining compliance with new and existing US tax laws and regulations and the timely and accurate recording of all tax related liabilities and expense.
- Preparing quarterly and year-end US tax provision working papers.
- Ensuring the timely and accurate preparation and submission of all forms of US tax filings, returns, remittances, payments or instalments.
- Participating in US business development projects as a subject matter expert, including leading tax-related due diligence and structuring.
- Demonstrating a high performance, high discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented, easy to do business with manner of working.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree majoring in Business, Finance or Accounting
- An accredited accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, and CGA)
- A minimum of 3 years of experience preparing US corporate income tax
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in US tax-related business development activities and tax structuring
- A demonstrated ability to apply relevant knowledge to ensure all submissions of US tax filings are accurate and complete.
As our best candidate, you possess excellent analytical skills and demonstrated attention to detail. You take initiative and seek opportunities to contribute to the knowledge and success of your team. You have the ability to make decisions authoritatively and wisely and demonstrate a strong work ethic and critical thinking skills.
In addition, you are able to exercise influence when working in a cross functional team, and demonstrate effective interpersonal and leadership skills.
The position includes leading EPCOR’s US (and other foreign) tax functions. The successful candidate will complete/oversee US (and other foreign) tax compliance, business development planning and tax structuring and other US (and other foreign) tax-related issues. Travel will be required to EPCOR’s US (and other foreign) operations as part of this positions responsibilities.
Hours of work: 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday
Commencing with your first day of employment as a permanent EPCOR employee you will enjoy a variety of benefits, such as:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive (bonus) pay program
- Paid vacation
- Flexible benefits plan
- Five paid personal days off each year
- One Friday off per month
- Access to internal and external career development programs
- Financial support for personal development
- EPCOR Savings Plan with company matched contributions
- Pension Plan
- Financial support for employee wellness
- Career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines and operational areas
- Financial support for charitable organizations that employees contribute to
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook!
How to Apply:
EPCOR only accepts resumes via on-line application at www.epcor.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered.
Thank you for your interest in a career with EPCOR. Due to the large volume of applications, only candidates selected for interviews will be cMontacted.
EPCOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Positions are filled by means of open competition where the selection is based on job-related skills, training, experience, suitability and, where appropriate, seniority.
Please note that all EPCOR positions are subject to a criminal records check.
More search results
2018 CFE Writer or Chartered Professional Account…
Kenway Mack Slusarchuk Stewart LLP
Robert Half Canada
Auditor 3, Compliance Audit
HEARTS: Helping Everyone Access Resources Through Support
Volunteer Accountant to Act as Auditor
Calgary Multicultural Centre