- Calgary, Alberta
- $75,000 - $84,000 annually
- Job Industry
- Public Accounting
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Varty Wood is a long-standing, small firm located in NW Calgary. Our clients are private businesses, ranging from high net worth individuals to owner-managed family businesses, as well as many not-for-profit organizations. Our team consists of two partners and senior and staff accountants who are dedicated to helping our clients solve their day-to-day business issues and achieve long-term success.
The Position: Senior Accountant
As a key member and leader on the team, you will be responsible for mentoring junior staff and developing relationships with existing clients. You will be responsible for all aspects of the engagement, from planning to file completion and review. You will collaborate with your peers and the partners on a daily basis.
Specific accountabilities of the role will include, but are not limited to:
- Planning and executing audit and review engagements in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing and Review Standards, and the preparation of financial statements in accordance with Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises and for Not-For-Profit Organizations
- Supervising and coaching junior staff and reviewing their work where applicable.
- Preparation of Notice to Reader financial statements and related notes from source documentation for operating companies and investment holding companies;
- Preparing personal and corporate tax returns.
- Preparing various tax election forms.
- Following-up on Notices of (Re) Assessments;
- Preparing memos to file and other correspondence, as required;
- Researching, as required.
- Accounting diploma or degree from a College or University
- CPA designation is considered an asset
- 3-5 years’ accounting experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a senior role on audit and review engagements
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with clients at a professional level;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Sound knowledge of accounting and personal and corporate tax
- Team player with excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize
- Enjoys a fast-paced environment and can meet tight deadlines
- Self-starter who takes ownership for their development
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Computer software knowledge in Caseware, Profile, QuickBooks, Sage, Simply Accounting and Excel
Compensation & Benefits
Base salary in the range of $75,000 - $84,000/ year, depending on experience. Benefits include medical and group insurance, as well as professional development courses and professional dues.
Why Work for Varty Wood
We pride ourselves in client service and high performance. Given the small size of the firm, the opportunity for advancement quickly is available to the ideal candidate.