Chief Financial Officer
- The Alberta Teachers' Association
- Barnett House (11010-142 Street) Edmonton
- Job Industry
- Not-for-profit and Charitable Organizations
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
The Alberta Teachers’ Association
invites applications for the position of
Chief Financial Officer
Permanent Full-Time Position
The Alberta Teachers' Association, as the professional organization of teachers, promotes and advances public education, safeguards standards of professional practice and serves as the advocate for its members.
As a key member of the senior management team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the organization leading all aspects of the finance function including accounting, internal and external reporting, finance and treasury, tax, risk management, and investor relations.
- Provides leadership in the development for the continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives.
- Prepare year-end financial information including preparing and presenting the annual budget and financial statements.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the Finance & Accounting functions of the organization, which includes a team of 10 employees.
- Evaluates and advises on the impact of long-range planning, introduction of new programs/ strategies and regulatory action.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with senior management to identify their needs and seek full range of business solutions.
- Serve on committees and participate in council meetings.
- Provide provincial executive council and executive management with advice on the financial implications of association activities.
- Manage processes for financial forecasting, budgets and consolidation and reporting to the organization.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place, ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable regulatory laws, rules for financial, and tax reporting.
- Oversee the work of building and food services including supervising senior staff as well as assuming the duties of the Business and Facilities Manager in their absence.
- Direct and manage the work of intermediate staff in finance, food services and facilities.
- Degree in commerce or business administration with a CPA designation
- MBA is an asset
- 10 years of post-designation experience including budgeting and financial management in a complex business, public or not-for-profit organization.
- Previous related experience working with boards and committees, acting as the liaison with external parties including banking, audit and investors.
- Previous experience with pension plans and working with an actuary.
- The successful candidate will have exceptional leadership and mentoring skills, demonstrate a high level of integrity and professionalism, superior interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Experience using Great Plains and budgeting software.
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
Work Location: Barnett House (11010 142 Street NW), Edmonton.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications along with the names and telephone numbers of two business references should be addressed to Denise Wladyka, HR Director and e-mailed to HR@ata.ab.ca by 4:00pm on September 7, 2018.
The Alberta Teachers’ Association thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.