Manager, Retail Accounting Services (Temporary up to 18 months)
Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) is a diverse business operating in the agriculture, food, energy and home and building sectors. Based in Saskatoon, Sask., FCL is owned by independent retail co-operatives from across Western Canada that are committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. FCL is involved in wholesaling and manufacturing, including refined fuels and lubricants. It also provides administrative and marketing support to its member-owners. For more information, visit www.fcl.crs.
The Grocery People (TGP) is a business unit of FCL dedicated to serving independent grocery retailers and foodservice operators. At TGP, we understand that independent food businesses are important to the fabric of the communities they serve, and we have been supporting them through the wholesale supply of goods and services for over 50 years. For more information visit www.tgp.ca
FCL invites applications for the position of Manager, Retail Accounting Services (Temporary up to 18 months) in our TGP office located in Edmonton, AB.
The Manager, Retail Accounting Services manages the department resources to provide timely, accurate financial reporting and general accounting services for The Grocery People (TGP) corporate and independent retail operations. They answer queries, teach, and assist direct reports, co-workers and independent retailers regarding financial planning, financial statement interpretation, office/bookkeeping best practices, financial aspects of the point of sale system, spreadsheet analysis and application of appropriate accounting controls. They will continuously pursue procedural and technological enhancements to improve internal controls, increase accounting information accuracy, increase financial reporting timeliness and decrease data entry time requirements. They will also create and publish user manuals for use by the accounting department, corporate store operations and independent retailers.
Reporting to the President, TGP, responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Review, analyze, audit and approve financial statements and reports for distribution to The Grocery People management, independent retail owners, tax accounting practitioners, lenders and various other users. Budget preparation and assistance, creation of reports specific to clients, financial counselling, and researching unique or complex accounting issues within SMS at client’s request.
- Management of department including determination of fees for service, maintenance and creation of user manuals and generic financial reports, human resources related tasks, resolving software issues in the department, research on current accounting practices and supervision.
- Answering queries from co-workers and retailers on simple bookkeeping related matters. Approving general ledger entries and cheque payments for corporate retails based on documentation, budgets and TGP policies. Clerical tasks including general ledger reconciliations and data entry.
- Provide support and financial analysis to the various TGP functional areas. Completing assessments of independent store viability and sustainability and providing recommendations based on available industry data. Work with FCL Corporate Accounting to integrate TGP business unit into FCL following standards and procedures currently in place.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have an Accounting Degree or Bachelor of Commerce with a Major in Accounting and 5-8 years in audit or public practice with in-depth knowledge of store point-of-sale systems. Familiarity with SAGE Accounting Software and QuickBooks is an asset. Professional Accounting Designation would be considered an asset.
A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
FCL offers a competitive salary, ongoing personal and professional development, and the opportunity to work with one of western Canada's most successful organizations.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sep 18 2018