Team Lead, Accounting Services
- Edmonton, AB, CAN T6H 2K7
- Job Industry
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
- Contract (includes summer)
TEAM LEAD, ACCOUNTING SERVICES
Full-Time 14-Month Contract - Competition #18-59
We have an exciting opportunity for a Team Lead, Accounting Services to join our team in Edmonton. As a team lead, you will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Services team, ensuring business needs are being met, and that internal work processes are efficient and effective.
Our ideal candidate is an expert coach and mentor, with a proven track record of working collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups. You have five to ten years of related experience and hold your Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage the day-to-day core business activities, daily workload volumes, and work assignments within the accounting team.
- Review current processes and procedures, and develop recommendations to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Act as the subject matter expert for ASEBP's financial systems, and lead system upgrades as needed.
- Provide senior-level technical advice, support and review for the Accounting Services team.
- Ensure financial transactions are coded to appropriate General Ledger (GL) accounts to ensure they are accurately represented on financial statements.
- Review and analyze the structure of the GL system to ensure correct use of codes.
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial transactions.
- Lead in the assurance of information in financial statements and year end audits relating to all financial reports.
- Prepare ad hoc reports as required.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with external auditors and provide any required or additional working papers.
- Ensure employees receive orientation, training, coaching, mentoring, support and guidance for their roles, setting them up for success.
- Support the division manager in determining performance standards and monitoring quality of work.
- Work closely with division manager and human resources to identify and address performance issues and gaps to support ASEBP's strategy.
Your Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field, and a CPA designation.
- Five to ten years of previous job related experience.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles.
- Supervisory or management experience an asset.
A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting, financial management, budget processes, and office management.
- Strong technical skills with respect to financial statement preparation and year-end audit file preparation.
- Leadership ability which demonstrates forward thinking, flexibility and creativity in response to handling clients, situations and determining priorities as a team lead.
- Expert knowledge of financial systems. Ability to work proficiently with Microsoft Office products with an advanced level of expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly develop and maintain strong and positive working relationships with peers, individuals supervised, ASEBP employees and clients.
- Demonstrated ability to lead groups through change processes.
- Experience with project management.
- Superior judgment and decision making skills.
- Experience monitoring trends/problems and developing, recommending and implementing solutions.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Ability to organize workflow and priorities to meet the needs of a variety of clients.
- Demonstrated ability to translate business requirements into workable processes.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written, for a variety of audience types.
- Ability to provide supervision and mentorship.
- Benefits and/or insurance experience considered an asset.
About the Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan
The Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP) is a health and welfare trust governed by ten Trustees, five of whom are appointed by the Alberta School Boards Association and five of whom are appointed by the Alberta Teachers' Association. ASEBP promotes programs that sustain healthy lifestyles and workplaces for over 60,000 covered members in almost 60 school jurisdictions across Alberta.
Working for ASEBP is about more than supplying great benefits. ASEBP offers:
- a team-focused culture that supports people and performance
- competitive compensation that goes far beyond a paycheque
- an exciting chance to make an impact in the lives of Alberta's school employees
- advancement opportunities in a stable, growing organization
- a wide range of health and wellness initiatives that encompass mental, physical and nutritional health
For more information about ASEBP, please visit the "About" section of our website (www.asebp.ca).
No phone calls please. We thank all interested individuals, but only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. ASEBP is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that an account will automatically be created for you during the application process if you do not have an ApplicantPro account set up already.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.