Manager - Internal Audit, Risk and Compliance
KPMG’s Advisory practice is growing, and we require strong professionals to join our dynamic team in Calgary. Our Advisory professionals provide a range of services to support our clients’ growth, governance, and performance objectives. Specifically, our Risk Consulting practice is comprised of business focused advisors and auditors who work to understand our clients’ business issues and to develop and execute approaches to address these challenges. We help our clients to optimize their response and resilience to expected and unexpected changes, events, and requirements, whether internally generated or externally imposed. We do this by strengthening governance, risk management, control, and compliance of organizations, projects, systems, and business and reporting processes, and responding to regulation, fraud, and litigation. Our value is in applying and integrating our wide range of technology, business, advisory, assurance, and risk management expertise to specific business and management problems.
Our Risk Consulting practice provides clients with a range of Advisory and Assurance services focused on strengthening business resilience, managing business risks, and driving business performance. These services include:
Internal Audit, Risk and Compliance Services (IARCS)
Technology Risk Consulting (TRC)
Financial Risk Management (FRM)
We are looking for a dynamic professional to join our growing Internal Audit, Risk and Compliance Services (IARCS) team as a Manager. The successful candidates will be a key member of our Calgary IARCS team where he or she will be responsible to manage the planning, execution, and reporting in IARCS engagements, and supporting and developing our practice strategy and goals.
Our IARCS professionals provide a range of assurance and advisory services to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of organizations through our assistance with internal audit, enterprise risk management programs, Board advisory, third-party relationships, regulatory compliance, governance and sustainability initiatives. We analyze and assess an organization’s business strategies and related business processes and systems to help management understand and address business objectives, requirements, risks, controls, and improvement opportunities. Our professionals bring both deep technical and industry experience, allowing clients to strengthen their key governance, risk management and compliance efforts while optimizing business performance.
Role and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be involved in the delivery of client services, business development, and practice management activities including:
- Assisting organizations with the establishment of risk and governance frameworks, internal audit functions and risk based internal audit plans
- Supporting organizations with the execution of internal audit and other risk and governance projects in various sourcing arrangements.
- Conducting internal audit quality assessments to meet IIA Standard requirements, and delivering internal audit training
- Managing client engagement plans, deliverables and expectations as well as review the quality of the fieldwork and deliverables prepared by engagement team members
- Identifying and developing trusted client relationships and new business opportunities with clients
- Conducting business development activities, including leading and/or participating in responding to client opportunities and proposals, capability statements and presentations for engagement opportunities and delivering presentations to new or existing clients
- Assisting senior leadership with practice management activities, including recruiting, scheduling, resourcing, training, and performance management.
* At times, business needs arise and employees are required to travel and agree to work beyond their normal work day or work week to fulfill the accountabilities required for their job. Likewise, people need extra time to devote to personal matters, and our approach to flexibility provides for this. Travel will also be required.
Skills & Qualifications
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and behaviors:
- Minimum of 8 years of experience with delivering internal audit and risk consulting services, preferably with a public accounting and/or advisory firm,
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate field from an accredited college/university
- CPA, CA designation
- Preference will be given to candidates with a CIA designation, and/or other relevant certifications/accreditations
- Previous experience and understanding of the Energy industry would be an asset
- Strong current knowledge in the following: IIA Standards, various internal controls and risk frameworks (e.g. COSO, ISO, COBIT), financial reporting standards (e.g. Canadian GAAP, PSAC). Basic knowledge and understanding of other current regulatory requirements would be beneficial (e.g. GDPR)
- Strong experience with the use and application of data analytics tools and scripts on audit and/or other advisory projects would be considered an asset
- Established network and proven track record with business development activities
- Able to manage cross functional teams comprised of diverse backgrounds and skill sets
- Demonstrated ability to learn and succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and is willing to ask probing questions to uncover client opportunities