Senior Accountant - Public practice
Bergeron & Co., CPA is a professional accounting firm with offices located in Edmonton, Calgary, and St. Paul. Since inception in 1981, the firm’s mission is to provide excellent bilingual accounting services and products to small and medium-sized businesses, not-for-profit organizations and individuals through a competent and efficient team. We are a full service firm providing assurance, accounting, tax, and advisory services. We place a strong emphasis on professional development and our employees are encouraged to expand their knowledge base.
We are currently seeking a candidate who has recent and relevant experience in all areas of public practice; including, notice to readers, reviews, audits, personal tax, corporate tax and consulting. You will be involved in all aspects of the firm.
As part of an ever expanding firm this position promises to offer perpetual growth and learning in a vast field. Your future here would be extremely beneficial in increasing your knowledge. We view this position as one where learning is infinite and continuous.
We offer competitive compensation. Working in public practice, it should be expected there are certain times of the year that require working extra hours. Generally, we expect employees to be available during regular business hours; however, we recognize the importance of having a balanced work life.
- Lead external audits, both independently and in a team environment
- Work both independently and in a team environment to assist individuals, corporations, not-for-profit, and municipal with a wide range of tax, notice to readers, assurance engagements, and consulting.
- Analyzing and preparing personal, trust, corporate tax, GST, T4 and T5 returns including CRA audit and support requests.
- Provide support to clients on general questions regarding accounting, taxations, operations and financial accounting issues.
- In conjunction with and under the supervision of management, responsible for completion of all aspects of the engagement.
- Ability to prepare, complete and review working papers, financial statements and tax returns for all types of engagements – personal and corporate, according to Firm and regulatory standards for clients in a variety of industry segments.
- Build effective working relationships with clients, and actively participate in business development through community involvement.
- Completion of additional ad-hoc administrative duties or assignments as required.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with clients.
- French and English written and verbal fluency would be considered an asset
- Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation, or nearing completion
- 3 - 5 years of public practice with relevant auditing experience
- Caseware software experience is REQUIRED for this role
- Good computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft office
- Experience using accounting and tax software (Taxprep, Quickbooks, Sage), would be considered an asset
- The candidate must be able to communicate effectively with both coworkers and clients, including audit clients
- Must be analytical, strategic, mature, and friendly
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a team environment
- Familiar with the demands of public practice as it relates to peak times of year (i.e. tax season, etc.)
- Has a strong desire to grow within the firm