Reporting to the CFO, the Manager, Finance and Accounting leads the accounting team and is responsible for effective management of all aspects of the financial reporting and accounting control systems of four distinct but related entities: The Law Society, ALIA, ALIEX and the Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education. This work includes overseeing accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and the core accounting and financial reporting application. The incumbent manages relationships with internal stakeholders and with key financial service providers including external auditors, financial institutions, actuaries and investment managers.
KEY RESULT AREAS:
As a member of the accounting team you will:
- Lead, mentor, train and manage department staff.
- Maintain strong working relationships with external financial service providers.
- Develop and manage all aspects of the financial reporting processes.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls
- Work with directors and Board committees to ensure effective accounting processes that meet applicable regulations.
- Attend all Audit Committee meetings and support the CFO in the preparation and presentation of relevant information as required.
- Develop and maintain effective systems of internal financial reporting and control and establishing, monitoring and enforcing the systems and controls.
- Develop and maintain financial reporting processes that provide timely and relevant management information for decision making and control including monthly and quarterly financial reports, variance analysis and forecasting information.
- Ensure that financial reports, including monthly, quarterly, and year end reports, are issued on time, in accordance with applicable accounting standards (IFRS and ASNPO) and fairly and accurately reflect the current financial position of the entities.
- Effectively manage the relationship with the external auditors and coordinate the annual audit process to meet required deadlines of all entities.
- Provide financial and other information to the organization’s insurance and pension actuaries to effectively facilitate related financial reporting and decision making.
- Work closely with the CFO to coordinate and prepare the annual budgets of all entities by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating departmental financial plans.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with financial institutions, the credit card service provider (currently Moneris), investment managers and other related service providers.
- Work closely with the CFO to effectively support the work of the Audit and Finance Committees.
- Ensure compliance with applicable provincial and federal regulations including applicable GST, Superintendent of Insurance (for ALIEX) annual returns, Income Tax, Payroll and information filings.
- Oversee and ensure the appropriate maintenance of the financial accounting application (currently MS Dynamics Great Plains).
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Recognized accounting designation is required (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA).
- 10 years of related accounting and financial management experience, with some time spent in not for profit organization.
- Progressive career growth with minimum 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Strong customer service orientation (external and internal).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working with Board committees, particularly audit and finance committees.
- Experience with MS Dynamics Great Plains is considered an asset.
- Experience with insurance industry and investment accounting is considered an asset.
COMPETENCIES and PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Personal Leadership – Advocate for open, empathetic and respectful communication. Ability to work collaboratively across the organization. Develop, inspire and motivate their team. Excel at fostering strong working relationships with all stakeholders; especially the board members of ALIA and ALIEX. Committed to personal excellence.
- Management – Effectively lead a competent and engaged accounting team. Ability to provide clear direction, set high performance standards, contribute to a culture of empowerment, accountability and continuous improvement. Ability to manage change with a flexible, supportive style. A natural mentor and coach.
- Communication and Presentation Skills - Express thoughts concisely and effectively both verbally and in writing. Ability to present complex financial information to diverse groups. Actively listens in a manner that fosters cooperation and support.
- Organization and Political Savvy- Politically astute yet not political. Ability to gain the trust of team, ELT, Boards, and all other internal and external stakeholders. High emotional intelligence. Ability to use humour appropriately.
- Self Initiative – Demonstrates a proactive approach to resolve issues prior to conflicts arising. Initiate activity, follow-through and bring closure to projects that protect the financial health and sustainability of the Law Society of Alberta and ALIEX as premier organizations.
- Technically Competent- Possess significant financial management experience ideally in a complex not for profit organization. Seeks to stay current in their profession with ability to recognize emerging issues and potential impact on the organization.
- Professional and Ethical- Professional yet approachable demeanor with unwavering integrity. Demonstrated track record of maintaining the highest level of ethical and professional standards.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
For Information Please Contact:
Allan Nelson or Laura Youngberg or Shalini Bhatty
530, 1000 – 7 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5L5
Phone: (403) 263-0600 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org