You care about making a difference in the lives of Albertans through holding government accountable for its stewardship of public resources! Become a legislative auditor (Senior Staff Auditor) with the Office of the Auditor General! Our work will give you the opportunity to apply your education and grow your audit skills in the public sector. Under the guidance of a manager or principal, you will support the planning, execution, and reporting of audit projects by contributing to the development of the audit plan, performing tests of controls and year end procedures, and assisting in file completion.
This role requires a team player with strong critical thinking skills and the ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment. Technical expertise coupled with effective communication skills enable you to perform moderate to complex audit work while coaching CPA students. Working with a project-based team, you will contribute to the planning, execution and reporting of your assigned audit projects which focus on auditing the Government of Alberta’s financial statements, applying Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) and audit methodology. You may also have the opportunity to audit the management control systems and processes government uses to deliver programs and services to Albertans (Performance Audits).
- Related university degree
- CPA designation with the right to practice public accounting
- Minimum three years of demonstrated relevant audit experience
- Understanding of accounting standards
- Demonstrated abilities in documentation and evaluation of internal controls
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal presentation
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications
Skills and experience which would be considered assets:
- Government experience at the municipal, provincial or federal level
- Familiarity with Canadian public sector accounting standards and IFRS
- Experience working in a public practice firm