Controller, Corporate Finance
Reporting to the VP Finance, the Controller, Corporate Finance will lead the Corporate Finance team of 16 people and work closely with divisional controllers, directors, assistant controllers, and leaders from all of Parkland’s business segments on accounting matters. The controller will manage the financial statement close cycles, manage routine and non-routine corporate accounting matters, as well as special or ad-hoc projects, and ensure company controls and policies are executed. The Controller will have overall responsibility of the Corporate Finance Team, which consists of: (1) Financial Reporting Team; (2) Corporate Accounting Team; and (3) Fixed and Intangible Assets team. This is a tremendous and exciting opportunity for an ambitious, enthusiastic and highly experienced individual looking for a career with a vibrant and fast-growing company.
- Oversee and manage the month-end/quarter-end close process and ensure that it is performed on a timely basis and accurately, with process improvements identified and implemented.
- Oversee, manage and review the preparation of the quarterly and annual Consolidated Financial Statements and Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A).
- Oversee, manage and review corporate accounting workpapers, including but not limited to consolidation files, EBITDA summary, cash flow proof, trial balance, intercompany eliminations, account lead sheets, journal entries, CTA and translation of foreign entities.
- Oversee, manage and review corporate accounts, including but not limited to: Cash, Property, Plant and Equipment; Intangibles assets, Intercompany, Goodwill, Asset Retirement Obligations (ARO), Other AR and AP, Accruals, Debt, Embedded Derivatives, Risk Management, Equity, Share Based Compensation, Acquisition Costs, Marketing, General and Administrative Expenses, Finance Costs; Foreign Exchange, and other accounts.
- Oversee, manage and review consolidated results and perform follow up with divisional finance teams on accounting variances /issues as required.
- Manage the audit process and audit relationship with external auditors.
- Work closely with the Director, Technical Accounting on accounting issues and ensure complex or non-routine transactions are accounted for in accordance with IFRS.
- Work closely with team members from Tax, Treasury, Corporate Development, Investor Relations, Integrations, Procurement, Communications and Financial Planning and Analysis groups, etc., to support monthly/quarterly deliverables and projects as required.
- Be a trusted resource and partner who will work closely with teams across North America. Provide guidance to various accounting and operational teams. Determine best course of action and present solutions to divisions and leaders. Solicit feedback and improve corporate finance service satisfaction.
- Ensure the successful completion of key projects as assigned, including but not limited to:
- Business combination accounting (PPA),
- Acquisition integration projects
- IT or System conversion projects
- Accounting process projects
- New accounting standards (e.g. IFRS 16)
- Tax projects
- Other special or ad-hoc projects as assigned.
Controls and processes
- Support controls implementation within corporate and support Parkland's C-SOX programs. Review, monitor and implement corporate controls. Enforce implementation of controls.
- Improve and streamline group and corporate policies, controls and processes through use of technology. Introduce new tools as needed. Drive efficiencies in existing processes.
- Drive a culture of continual improvement through the team and the broader Finance area and look for opportunities to streamline and automate processes. Actively analyze, identify, propose, implement and coordinate areas of improvement to all accounting processes. Actively determine gaps and root causes of issues and develop gap resolutions. Assist in implementation of IT or Robotics Process Automation (RPA) solutions or development of new procedures as needed. Adopt best practices for the group and entity.
- Promote and build Parkland’s culture of BOLD and Commercial Intensity. Introduce processes and best practices for the team to greatly improve productivity and efficiency.
- Support a people culture of high engagement and a high teaming spirit. Support the professional development of the team. Supervise, coach and mentor assistant controller, managers, and other team members.
- Manage budget and expenditures of corporate finance business unit.
Qualifications and Skills:
Qualifications and experiences required
- Corporate controller / controllership-related experience at a mid to large cap publicly traded, high growth company with multi-currency subsidiaries.
- Public accounting experience.
- Excellent knowledge and experience with public company accounting requirements, IFRS, working with complex accounting issues and implementing C-SOX or SOX controls.
- Strong knowledge and experience with business combinations, M&A, and accounting integrations.
- CPA, CA designation with 15 years’ experience.
Skills and attributes required
- Excellent controllership and technical accounting skills. Ability to proactively identify, understand and grasp issues, problems, business situations, and prevent issues from occurring.
- Process improvement experience and skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating an ability to make complex issues and processes clear and understandable to key stakeholders and decision makers.
- Excellent advanced Word and Excel skills, comfortable working with large volumes of data.
- Self-motivated problem solver. Relentless focus on high quality results, attention to detail, and operational excellence.
- Strong people leader and team player with ability to motivate teams as well as partner and work with all business units and operations. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Enthusiastic and committed to getting the job done and meeting deadlines in a fast paced, high-performing environment. Willing to "roll up sleeves" and focus on execution and meeting challenging targets as needed.
The following experiences would be considered valuable assets to the position, though not required
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne ERP, Hyperion Essbase, Microsoft Sharepoint, and/or Workiva Wdesk.
- Accounting of retail, downstream oil and gas, refinery or manufacturing operations.
- Working in highly acquisitive environments or integration of acquisitions.
Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Parkland regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Our main priority at Parkland is our people. As an employee, you can expect a fair workplace, a professional work environment, competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, and a share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and our Annual Incentive Plan.
Please contact Richel Davies, Talent Acquisition Advisor at 587-230-3885 for further details.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest, however only those being considered will be contacted.
Parkland Fuel Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.
We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Fuel Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.