Sr. Financial Analyst, Marketing
Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Progress Energy is a leader in Canadian natural gas development with a focus on responsibly generating long-term sustainable growth from its extensive resource base in the North Montney. It is a company that values its relationships and partnerships with stakeholders and First Nations, and strives to be a great neighbour in the communities where it operates. Progress is wholly owned by PETRONAS of Malaysia, a global leader in LNG.
With over 300 employees, we are committed to professional development to build upon the strengths of the team. At Progress we encourage initiative and career growth, and offer a positive, dynamic and challenging working environment. With a competitive total compensation package and a track record of success, Progress seeks the brightest and most talented professionals in their area of expertise to join our team to meaningfully contribute to the ongoing success of our company.
Progress Energy currently has a vacancy for a Sr. Financial Analyst, Marketing to join our team in Calgary. Reporting to the Manager, Risk Management, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy and thoroughness of all reporting related to Progress’ Marketing activities. This role will provide financial & accounting expertise and advice to support the marketing of Progress’ natural gas, natural gas liquids and crude oil production, as well as related hedging activities.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Design and prepare effective reporting of Marketing positions, exposures and results to internal and external stakeholders, including Sr. Management, Board, and Risk Management Committee, as well as JV Partners and relevant government bodies
- Manage the gathering and booking of complex accounting transactions with supporting analyses and reporting, identifying and resolving any deficiencies
- Collaborate across functional teams to ensure tight monthly reporting deadlines are met
- Ensure accounting/financial analysis principles and practices are followed, providing practice and policy interpretation, and monitoring of regulatory, legislative and policy compliance
- Provide analytical support to marketing, transportation and optimization activities, gathering and evaluating data/information, preparing data models, analyzing results, preparing reports and presenting findings
- Evaluate marketing and transportation contracts and invoices, ensuring transactions are recorded, settled and reconciled back to contract terms
- Monitor transportation and midstream commitments, working with appropriate teams to manage and renew commitments, and ensuring stakeholders understand the related liabilities and that such liabilities are accurately reported
- Support internal and external audits of revenues, midstream and transportation costs
- Ensure appropriate controls are in place to support accurate financial reporting
- Identify opportunities for process improvements to support analysis and reporting activities, including research on industry best practices
- Oversee department projects and initiatives, providing input and supporting research, managing project deliverables and timelines, and preparing status reports and progress updates as required
- Mentorship and guidance of junior team members
Required Education, Experience and Skills
- 10-15 years of relevant experience in the energy & commodity marketing industry
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical discipline such as Finance or Accounting
- Professional designation (CFA, CPA, FRM, ERM) is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail-oriented and able to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure
- Takes pride in getting work done accurately and in a timely manner
- Ability to multi-tasks and manage assignments effectively through to completion.
Progress would like to thank all applicants for their interest in joining our team; however only the candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.