- Job Industry
- Oil & Gas/Mining Exploration and Development, Oil & Gas/Mining Services, Other
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance, CPA Candidate Position – experience verification route
- Job Type
Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
The Analyst, Tax position is accountable to assist with preparation of all tax function deliverables. The role will assist with preparation of external financial reporting requirements. This position is also responsible to adhere with tax department processes, TA policies and key SOX controls and to provide assistance with supporting business unit tax issues and tax planning for growth initiatives.
- Assisting with completion of tax department deliverables and agreed outcomes to ensure success of the 1–3 year tax plan.
- Accountable for tax due diligence of potential investments in greenfield, brownfield and M&A opportunities.
- Accountable for preparation of public reporting of tax performance (Quarterly Financial, MD&A, and press releases) for Canadian entities.
- Accountable for adhering to SOX controls.
- Accountable for preparation of Canadian tax filings.
- Accountable for helping with CRA and other tax authority audits.
- Accountable to develop key internal and external relationships with business units and advisors.
- Accountable to help with planning and forecasting for taxes and develop strategies to optimize cash tax horizons.
- Accounting degree with Chartered Professional Accountant Designation and tax experience in public practice required.
- Completion of levels I and II of CICA In Depth Tax Course.
- 2+ years of practical experience in Canadian corporate tax.
- Understanding of SOX controls.
- Demonstrated capability to research and understand technical tax concepts and be able to communicate and apply them in a logical manner to perform the tax functions and financial reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to build trust in relationships with tax auditors and TA staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex tax concepts to others in a way that facilitates understanding.
- Demonstrated ability to influence, negotiate and facilitate buy-in with a variety of stakeholders across functions.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and lead adaption to change in a complex environment.
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. This position will require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance.