Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is a growth-oriented North American power producer headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. The company develops, acquires, operates and optimizes power generation from a variety of energy sources.
Capital Power owns approximately 4,500 megawatts of power generation capacity at 24 facilities and is pursuing contracted generation capacity throughout North America.
One Permanent, Full-Time Position.
Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Taxation team.
Reporting to the Vice President, Taxation & Valuations, the new Senior Manager US Taxation's role will be to manage and lead the US tax function, with a primary focus on supporting Capital Power's business development activities in the US. In addition, the role may include compliance, payments, tax elections, planning, etc. This position also may entail some Canadian tax work including preparation, review, research with respect to business development, compliance, reporting, audits, planning, risk identification and management, etc.
Key accountabilities include:
- Leads US tax issues with respect to business development and acquisitions.
- Reviews contracts and business development opportunities for tax implications and negotiate tax efficient terms that minimize tax risks.
- Reviews complex US tax compliance for legal entities, including income, indirect, cross border, etc. tax.
- Prepare or review, research US tax issues and provides well supported conclusions. Lead implementation of US tax reorganizations and related research.
- Is proactive on risk identification, analysis and provides recommendations to manage risks.
- Manages taxation audits where necessary.
- Manage intercompany transactions, including transfer pricing, management fees, etc.
- Completes professional CPE requirements to maintain knowledge within expertise area.
- Makes decisions on US tax compliance, provision, and research.
- Use analytical skills to identity potential problems and to negotiate satisfactory resolutions.
- Provides recommendations for tax issues identified and can defend positions taken.
- Provide input to the VP Taxation & Valuations plans and directions, and ensure on-going appropriate relationships with other positions.
- Manage workload for team and processes required to complete work, including managing technology requirements.
- Manage non-routine and complex tasks without issues by providing recommendations to VP Taxation & Valuations
- Fully engaged in tax technical work and demonstrates ability to exercise judgment in completing tasks.
- Coordinates and plans the functionality of tax compliance and reporting and looks for continuous improvement to the design and maintenance of our systems. Recommends and implements changes.
- All complex work is reviewed by VP, Taxation as a first review or second review.
- Performs work independently in accordance with clearly established expectations representing department or organization in meetings and negotiations.
- identifies any risks or non-routine issues to VP Taxation & Valuations and provides input to resolve/address the risks.
- Acts as a role model in demonstrating HSE orientation; adheres to HSE procedures/rules and standards.
- Ensures files are prepared in line with CSOX requirements.
- Maintains and develops relationships within Taxation group.
- Maintains and develops relationships with other groups in order to obtain information required to complete work and provides recommendations outside of Tax group.
- Ability to work as part of a team to delegate tasks and to get assignments completed by stated deadlines.
- Engage other areas of expertise to work as an effective team and resolve issues.Manages cross functional projects.Coaches direct reports and other taxation staff & provides input into performance reviews and development needs of peers and more junior employees.
- Degree or Diploma in Business, Finance or Accounting
- Professional Accounting Designation
- Completion of the In-Depth Tax Program and US Tax courses.
- 10 years of post-graduation finance/accounting experience with at least 7+ years tax experience in a relevant tax position.
- Effective business partner providing tax advice necessary to make reliable and timely business decisions.
- Interpretive, analytical skills required to identify favorable tenable positions in conjunction with related risks and defend positions taken as related to complicated tax matters.
- Engage other areas of expertise to work as an effective team and resolve issues.
- Ability to explain concepts to a variety of audiences including the Board or external parties.
- Exercises influential strategies as a leader to influence decision making.
- Coaching and providing timely feedback to team members and direct reports and appropriately delegating responsibility.
- Fully engaged in tax technical work and making recommendations for change as necessary.
- Proactive business partner and leader in Finance and cross-functional areas.
To apply on this job, please go to www.capitalpowerjobs.com
- For Edmonton posting search for IRC6542
- For Calgary posting search for IRC6514