The Mustard Seed is a humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Christian tenets and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Senior Accountant assists in providing financial information in a timely and accurate manner to senior management and the Organization as needed. This role reconciles and reviews intercompany transactions, reconciles and analyzes general ledger accounts of all Organization related transactions and lessens the heavy work load of the Finance Manager by assisting wherever possible.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare accurate, timely financial statements
- Conduct regular ledger maintenance
- Assist with audit requests
- Donation and account analysis
- Adjusting journal entries as needed
- Conduct monthly and quarterly account reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance
- Analyze financial statements for discrepancies and other issues that should be brought to management’s attention
- Prepare GST filings, T2 and T3010 filings
- Monthly preparation of grant returns
- Preparing PST return
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration, or related field.
- Completion of, or consistent progress towards a CPA qualification, with expected completion within 2 years
- 3+ years in progress accounting experience
- Proven experience with full cycle accounting, financial statement preparation and analysis, and reconciliations
- Ability to work independently and function well in a team-oriented environment
- Self-directed with the ability to show initiative and take responsibility
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook); advanced knowledge of Excel is required
- Excellent client service skills. Able to handle high volumes and multiple priorities in a professional, courteous manner while meeting strict deadlines
- Positive and professional work ethics which include: Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Excellence
- Experience with Financial Force would be an asset
- Office Setting, Monday – Friday during business hours
- Flexible working hours and overtime may be required
- Pro-longed periods of sitting, computer use
- Minimal physical effort
- Moderate to extreme mental effort
- Limited travel may be required
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.