Manager Finance and Accounting
- Mountain View County
- Mountain View County - Didsbury, Alberta
- Job Industry
- Government/Public Administration
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
This position is responsible for overseeing the monthly preparation of financial statements and reports; daily supervision of accounting staff in the areas of accounts payable, payroll, journal entry, cash receipts and tax collection; preparation and sending of property tax notices; maintaining effective internal controls for the revenues and expenditures and otherwise providing adequate safeguard for County assets.
• Provides daily direction to the Finance and Accounting staff regarding all accounting systems, cost effectiveness, records accuracy, internal and external customer service, required reports and adherence to Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAB). Reviews relevancy of policies and procedures and makes recommendations to the Director of Corporate Services.
• Oversees the entry into the financial system (i.e. payables, receivables, payroll and utilities), ensuring that all accounting entries are handled promptly and within approved policy guidelines.
• In conjunction with the department Director, prepares the annual County operating and capital budgets, preparation of financial statements and coordination of external audit.
• Works with the department Director and County Auditors in the preparation of the annual report, financial statements and annual audit, generating required reports and overseeing preparation of working papers.
• Obtains and communicates as appropriate, variances from budgets by working with departments managers and heads.
• Prepares month-end, quarterly and year-end reports.
• Manages all bank accounts and in accordance with established policy to ensure adequate cash flow for the County.
• Completion of an accredited post-secondary accounting program. A recognized accounting designation or equivalent is desirable; example: CPA (CA, CMA, CGA);
• Five to seven (5-7) years of progressive hands-on accounting experience preferably in a municipal environment; work experience will show managerial competencies in the key areas of team development and strong finance/accounting administration;
• High degree of competency in using computers for financial reporting and analysis, able to use Excel (Access) to analyse large volumes of information, familiarity with Bellamy Financial System or similar financial accounting systems;
• Solid planning, organizing and problem-solving skills.
• Commitment to continuous improvement with a strong understanding of who the customer is;
• Familiarity with Municipal Government Act, related provincial statutes, GST regulations and PSAB; and
• Bondable – will be required to obtain a criminal reference check at time of offer.