Manager, Financial Reporting
- TransAlta Corporation
- Calgary, Alberta
- Job Industry
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
TransAlta is currently looking for a full time role in the Finance department as Manager, Financial Reporting, reporting directly to the Managing Director, Corporate Controller. This role ensures the complete and accurate reporting of TransAlta Corporation’s and TransAlta Renewables Inc.’s quarterly and annual financial statements and management and discussion and analysis (MD&A). This position also oversees the accounting research function providing guidance and leading the implementation of new accounting standards and significant business issues as well as regulatory and securities requirements related to disclosure.
- Accountable for the preparation of external reporting for TransAlta Corporation and TransAlta Renewables along with other subsidiaries subject to general audit in compliance with relevant accounting and regulatory standards. Deliverables include quarterly and annual financial statements, management’s discussion and analysis, as well as additional financial reports required for filing in connection with public offerings or to comply with securities regulation.
- Accountable for overseeing SOX compliance and the GRC process, and support the business in improving control processes or documents to ensure that TransAlta's control framework is maintained. The Manager will work with internal and external audit teams to track deficiencies and manage the remediation process.
- Accountable to advise business units accounting groups and the consolidation & financial systems groups on accounting for complex transactions, new accounting standards and M&A activity.
- Accountable to identify emerging reporting needs and orientations and devise solutions for accounting and reporting issues by coordinating with business units and external auditors.
- Accountable for overseeing the Capital Accounting group and the Consolidated Reporting Analysis group,through their respective supervisors.
- Accountable for developing, implementing, and reviewing a 1 - 3 year business plan for the Financial Reporting group and delivering the agreed outcomes.
- Accountable to drive efficiency and productivity improvements and support team members in advancing their ideas.
- Holds a professional accounting designation, with a minimum of 10 years of post-designation financial accounting experience.
- Advanced knowledge of IFRS and internal controls experience.
- Possesses a strong track record with respect to leading a diverse team of professionals.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous learning and personal development.
- Is known for strong communication and leadership abilities.
- Enjoys the challenge of technical accounting issues while still able to communicate the importance and substance of the matter to a variety of financial and non-financial audiences.
- Experience in preparing financial statements, accompanying notes, and the MD&A for a publicly traded organization.
- Has experience in consolidations, inter-corporate investments, foreign currency translation, and cash flow preparation.
- A highly organized individual capable of simultaneously managing numerous tasks both for themselves and for the staff reporting directly to them.
- Demonstrates professional judgment and initiative in their everyday work to ensure the group resolves issues in a timely manner, given tight and fixed financial reporting deadlines.
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board!
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.