- Always work safely, adhere to all aspects of the NTPC Health & Safety and Environmental programs, comply with all rules & regulations, and continually practice health & safety while performing any duties.
- Ensure the safety of other employees, contractors and the general public in the workplace by:
- Providing detailed orientations and identification of hazards to all visitors
- Removing hazards or make the workplace safe when leaving a work area
- Reporting any failure to adhere to safety practises or rules
- Processes all employment commencements, transfers, terminations, changes in salary, allowances and benefits, including acting pay, leave without pay, and suspensions for all employee types. Prepares documentation such as records of employment (ROE’s) for permanent, term and casual employees.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the Health & Safety program, Environment program as well as NTPC’s safety culture.
- Actions all deductions and remittances including Superannuation, CPP, EI taxes and insurances. Audits payroll functions to ensure accuracy.
- Administers and processes tax reporting related to payroll, such as preparation of T4s, T4As and PIER reports.
- As required, may process lump sum and special payments separate from the regular payroll run and calculates manual pay adjustments required for partial period payments including cheque cancellations and retro-active pay.
- Responds to queries from employees concerning payroll calculations and verification of income as well as queries from outside agencies.
- Prepares and compiles lists related to payroll including reports, reporting forms (such as T4s), payroll procedures, manuals and guidelines, year-end reporting. Assists the Finance Department with year-end working papers.
- Facilitates training and supports for all Corporate remote entry users & the management team on the electronic payroll system in the auditing of timesheets including verifying authorization, earn codes, hours etc. and utilizing exception reports to ensure accuracy of payroll as well as provides advice and assistance on the interpretation of the collective agreement.
- Initiates and processes electronic funds transfer (EFT) for direct deposit; payment for Canada Revenue Agency; and all payroll related liabilities. Ensures CRA and PSSA cheques are delivered to the bank prior to the due dates.
- Performs monthly/quarterly/yearly reconciliations of Payroll General Ledger Accounts with explanation of outstanding items. Ensures differences are adjusted or recovered.
- Provides payroll information for budgeting purposes, collective bargaining and cost benefit analysis and assists in the co-ordination of special projects.
- Implements changes that affect pay and benefits as a result of changes to the Collective Agreement, federal and territorial initiatives in conjunction with our HR Specialists. This would include rate changes for Superannuation, WCB and all insurances as well as monthly and annual/fiscal routines.
- Administers the electronic Superannuation Plan including all SOS and TOS documents for employees. Submits on a monthly basis updated salary information, LWOP, and employee contributions to Superannuation. Advises employees on pension matters such as transfers, elective pensionable service, pensionable service and non-pensionable service as well as options available on retirement or termination.
- Set-up and maintain files and records ensuring all related payroll documentation is filed in the appropriate files.
- Undertakes the annual audit and the yearly allocation and implementation of the Corporation’s time entry, leave and attendance system. Monitors employees leave usage/balances on a monthly basis, processes all monthly leave entitlements and prepares and implements the yearly annual leave entitlement spreadsheet for all employees.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of the annual departmental budget.
- Develops timely, accurate, and reliable recommendations on strategies to achieve the Human Resource objectives, as well as the boarder corporate strategic planning objectives.
- Provides training to and receives training from co-workers, as well as performs other responsibilities in applicable areas within the team as assigned.
- Periodically supports other HR related special projects as assigned, and provides back up support in other HR related areas; i.e. such as medical travel and corporate accommodation bookings.
- A 2 Year Diploma in a relevant discipline is required (e.g. Finance / Accounting / Human Resources / Business).
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in payroll administration, including the administration of employee benefits and pension plans is required.
- Previous payroll experience within a unionized environment is required.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains (GP) software is an asset.
- Preference will be given to those with the Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of programs, such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong understanding of unionized environments and interpretation of collective agreements.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to generate and analyze data to prepare reports.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal, oral and written communications skills with the proven ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team, as well as independently.
- Previous experience providing HR generalist support in areas such as recruitment, labour relations and training and development would be considered an asset.
Affirmative Action Employer - Affirmative Action candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.