- Pieridae Energy
- Calgary, Alberta
- Salary Range: $140,000 - $180,000 per annum
- Job Industry
- Oil & Gas/Mining Exploration and Development
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Pieridae Energy Canada (“Pieridae”) is a Canadian integrated liquid natural gas (LNG) company, with a strategy to build a long-term, low cost integrated energy business selling into higher priced and growing international markets. The company has natural gas assets located in Alberta, Quebec and New Brunswick and expects continued growth in upstream resources as we move toward construction and operationalization of its LNG facility in Nova Scotia.
We are seeking a Finance professional to join our team. Pieridae is in an advanced start-up phase, and values team members that are dedicated to making a difference. This position will have a hand in shaping our company’s progress in an emerging and rapidly growing organization.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller, Upstream will be accountable for the day-to-day management of the Upstream accounting organization. This is a key position that will play a critical role in support and execution of strategy, integration and optimal project prioritization. The Controller, Upstream is a team player who moves easily between the roles of team member and team leader. This individual is a pro-active influencer and innovator who can and effectively build strong relationships across the Pieridae organization and support a staff of 8. The role will be responsible for planning, directing, and executing projects needed to accomplish goals of the Upstream operations.
- Oversight and execution of the day-to-day accounting of the Upstream operation, including production accounting, invoicing, accounts payable, fixed asset schedules and bank reconciliations;
- Develop, document and implement internal controls;
- Analysis of cash flow, cost controls, and expenses;
- Ensure accounting records are maintained in accordance with IFRS;
- Interact with all areas of management to provide consultative support to planning initiatives through financial analysis, reports, and recommendations;
- Evaluate financial systems and coordinate financial systems with operational systems;
- Support external and contract Finance counterparties:
- Tax reporting, compliance and consultants
- Auditors and other financial specialists, as required
- Support for the budgeting and financial projection functions;
- Support for cash forecasting;
- Manage the month end, quarter end and year end process including preparation of financial statements for the Upstream division; and
- Support Upstream Operations with financial structure decision making: contracts, leases, etc.
In addition to the primary responsibilities, this role will have a material hand in shaping the Finance function of our company. Continuous process improvement, system selection and development, and building a strong support team are all part of the breadth of impact. This position demands ownership, accountability and excellent interpersonal, planning and problem-solving skills.
You possess exceptional communication skills and demonstrate a positive attitude. Strong analytical skills and attention to detail is required. You have proven coaching and mentoring skills, with a minimum of five years of supervisory/management experience.
- A professional accountant (CPA, CA, CMA or CGA designation) is required;
- Minimum five years’ experience in a senior finance/accounting role;
- Experience in financial modeling;
- In depth knowledge of the oil and gas industry;
- Tax experience will be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated knowledge/experience building CSOX-certifiable internal control systems;
- IFRS experience will be considered an asset;
- In the immediate term: The ability to handle all accounting functions, Longer term: we will have the ability to build a team (of internal resources and/or service providers) as we evolve the business;
- Results oriented and hands-on, able to work both autonomously and in a team environment;
- Self-starter with initiative to manage change in a dynamic environment; and
- Strong prioritization skills: ability to handle multiple conflicting demands on your time.
Pieridae is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status or any other legally-protected factors. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available on request during the recruitment process.
Pieridae offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, in addition to bonus and stock option programs. We offer unique opportunities for self-starting individuals to have material impact on the shaping and success of our company.