Manager, Corporate Accounts Payable
- City of Edmonton - Recruitment
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Salary Range: $84,597 - $120,852 (Annually)
- Job Industry
- Government/Public Administration
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Are you an Accounts Payable Expert with the experience and motivation to lead the City’s AP team through a continuing transformation in processes and technology?
Can you do this while appreciating and maintaining strong internal controls and quality service?
If so the role of Manager, Corporate Accounts Payable might be for you!
Help live the City of Edmonton's strategic vision to evolve and journey to a modern municipal corporation. Leaders strive to operate with a focus on integration and shared accountability, a perspective to co-manage the corporation, strive for excellence and build a flexible organization. Live the Cultural Commitments while managing, guiding, directing, controlling, and administering the delivery of corporate accounts payable services across the City. The team provides quality service, financial controls and oversight support for accounts payable, payments, vendor administration, expense transactions and corporate credit card support. This includes disbursing $1.8B annually in 320,000 payments to 8,000 vendors in compliance with City Bylaws and policies.
Leading a team of business professionals, you provide strategic direction, advice, leadership, and supervision by:
- Directing, guiding, controlling, developing and implementing policy and procedures for Corporate Accounts Payable
- Manage, develop, construct, and deploy strategic business plans for Corporate Accounts Payable
- Determine and implement appropriate risk assessment and control measures, including records, procedures, training, governance and oversight support over all aspects of Accounts Payable
- Manage and allocate appropriate staff resources and ensure support systems are in place for efficient and effective service delivery
- Manage, monitor, regulate, and preside over the Corporate Credit Card (CCC) program, ensuring the governance model is sufficient and effective, ensuring transactions follow procedures, and recommending corrective action when non-compliance is suspected
- Preparing, monitoring, and managing the annual operating budget of approximately $1.7 million, as well as revenues of $333,000
- Maintaining understanding, knowledge, and insight with trends in accounts payable processes and technology, to ensure the City's practices remain state of the art to meet client needs
- Facilitating, formulating and organizing requirements for leading business processes, system design and the re-engineering of processes
- Hiring top-quality employees, lead, manage, coach and promote the development of staff though providing regular performance reviews, collaboration, and developing and implementing appropriate training, performance and work plans
- Develop key performance indicators and metrics to help monitor and manage various aspects for the area, interpreting and comparing actual results to expectations, and making strategic decisions to achieve established goals
- Continuous improvement and initiative development including project development/support
- Develop and maintain the required governance and oversight for the area, which includes determining the appropriate level and type of protective measures and financial controls to be used to protect the Corporation
- Successful completion of a relevant University Degree (Commerce with Accounting major preferred)
- A professional accounting designation (CPA, CA/CMA/CGA) is required
- A minimum of 10 years related experience working with business processes and accounting practices relating to Accounts Payable
- A minimum of 5 years demonstrated supervisory experience including leading, coaching, managing and developing staff
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to supervise staff, work with customers and all levels of management, and collaborate energetically
- Strategic thinker, capable of seeing the big picture and able to communicate results
- Superior analytical ability and interpersonal skills to assess, collaborate and resolve significant payment issues
- Strong understanding of change management processes and problem solving methods
- Strong understanding of systems based processing, ERP environment, paperless electronic AP processing and automation
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of audit processes and performance measurement as they relate to Accounts Payable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong presentation skills, strong facilitation skills, experience in guiding teams, conflict resolution and negotiation
- Extensive knowledge and insight of municipal, provincial, and federal legal requirements relating to Accounts Payable, Credit Card Administration, FOIP, GST, garnishees, and third party demands
- Experience in Payments Canada regulations, Canadian Banking Association regulations, banking techniques, and payment processing
Management and Out-of-Scope positions at the City of Edmonton are being reviewed for possible inclusion in the Civic Service Union 52 bargaining unit. If this position is impacted, the incumbent will be notified accordingly.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Up to 1 permanent full-time position
Hours of work: 36.9 hours per work week. Monday - Friday.
Salary Range: $84,597 - $120,852 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: IS/CM
Classification Title : ML2 - Financial Manager
Posting Date: Dec 31, 2018
Closing Date : Jan 14, 2019 11:59:00 PM (MST)
Number of Openings (up to) : 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
Department : Financial Services
Work Location(s) : Chancery Hall, 4th Floor, 3 Sir Winston Churchill Square Edmonton T5J 2C3