TITLE: GENERAL MANAGER
REPORTS TO: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
A. POSITION SUMMARY
Reporting to the Board of Directors (the “Board”) for the Battle River Cooperative REA Ltd. (the “Coop”), the General Manager (the “GM”) is invested with broad responsibilities and authority. The basic objectives for the GM position include the following:
- To implement the strategic goals and objectives of the Coop;
- To provide direction and leadership toward the achievement of the Coop’s philosophy, mission, strategy, and its annual goals and objectives;
- To coordinate the activities of the Coop; and
- To oversee and coordinate planning, execution and preparation necessary for deployment, launch, operation and maintenance of the Coop’s system and overall success.
Battle River Power Coop has been providing safe, reliable power distribution to rural Alberta for 70 years and our sole mission is to provide the best and most cost effective electric power service to our 8,500 member-owners while operating under sound cooperative business principles.
Our rural Alberta service area stretches from the Town of Bruderheim in the north to the Village of Alix in the south, and east from the Town of Wainwright to the Village of Thorsby in the west, spanning 13 Alberta Municipal Districts and Counties.
The GM’s responsibilities will be directed, where appropriate, by input from the Board. While portions of such responsibilities may be delegated, the GM’s overall responsibility for the operational sustainability of the Coop shall not.
B. REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERENCES
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree preferably in a relevant discipline such as accounting, engineering or business management. An MBA or equivalent experience is desirable and other designations such as a P. Eng. or CPA are considered an asset;
- Experience in a senior management position directing the implementation of key decisions within an organization with a preference for demonstrated competence in working with a Board of Directors;
- Significant and relevant experience in industry is required, with preference for experience in an electric distribution utility (such as a rural electrification association) or a co-operative enterprise (such as a gas co-operative);
- An understanding of the financial, regulatory and operational considerations of operating a business, including rural electrification associations or other cooperatives is an asset;
- Job posting closes by February 15, 2019 or after a qualified applicant is selected.
- Please provide your resume, cover letter and a minimum of three work related references to firstname.lastname@example.org.C. COMPENSATION
- The General Manager position is the most senior position in the Coop and is compensated accordingly. Given the importance of the position to the Coop, the Board retains significant flexibility in approving the form and amount of compensation for the successful applicant. Compensation, including vacation, pension, and other extensive benefits, are dependent upon experience, negotiated by the Board and commensurate with the expectations of the position.