Capital Budget Officer
Capital Budget Officer
Job Number: 34943
Are you a leader in Budget Expertise with strong ability to lead and manage financial planning, policy direction and strategies?
The City of Edmonton is continuing to evolve and grow in response to the needs of our citizens. We are redefining how we do finance in a municipal setting, all while fiscally guiding our organization to a higher standard of excellence. The Financial Strategies and Budget Branch is seeking a highly skilled subject matter expert with strong budget expertise to lead and manage the Capital Budget associated with financial planning and budget recommendations.
Reporting to the Director, Budget Planning and Development, The Budget Officer will be accountable for the preparation of Capital Budget for the City of Edmonton which contains the financial plan for capital expenditure. As the Budget Officer, you will play a key role in developing and recommending the budget planning process, including integration with corporate and department business plans and performance measurement framework.
As the Budget Officer, you will:
- Lead and manage financial planning process including 4 year capital budget and 10 year capital investment outlook
- Manage the decision making process and recommend capital budgeting guidelines for civic departments and external boards and agencies
- Identify issues and provide recommendations and strategy options for consideration, presentation and public communication of the Capital Budget
- Manage, design and implement the Capital Budget decision making and development process components, analyze Capital Budget and financial information to identify issues and formulate budget strategies for financial policy options
- Develop written and visual presentations of Budget for approval by the Chief Financial Officer, Executive Leadership Team, City Council, and or public understanding
- Develop and recommend funding allocation strategies for new grant programs
- Research, develop and maintain long term financial planning through review and analysis of past trends, future Capital Budget forecasts, business plans, policy issues, other municipalities and special review
- Build workforce capacity through coaching, mentoring, recognizing accomplishments and motivating employees to deliver peak performance
- Demonstrate the ability to model the Cultural Commitments of Safe; Helpful; Accountable; Integrated; and Excellent, and inspire the same in others
- Completion of a recognized University Degree with a major in finance or accounting or a related field of study
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) is required
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 8 years of related progressively responsible experience within the budgetary and/or financial planning fields at a corporate level
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles in relation to budgeting and public sector reporting
- Demonstrated ability to discuss complex technical and qualitative issues with a wide range of stakeholder including senior management, branch managers, project managers and other accounting staff at all levels
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of computerized budgetary tools, complex spreadsheet analysis and report writing
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of municipal finance processes, financial planning and budget
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills with the ability to formulate recommendations in the absence of formal guidelines or precedents
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), presentation, organizational and people skills
- Strong leadership, facilitation, collaborative planning and team building capabilities attributing to the achievement of key business goals
Management and Out-of-Scope positions at the City of Edmonton are being reviewed for possible inclusion in the Civic Service Union 52 bargaining unit. If this position is impacted, the incumbent will be notified accordingly
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Up to 1 permanent, full-time position
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday - Friday
Salary: $116,049 - $145,060 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: IS/IS
Classification Title: Capital Budget Officer
Posting Date: Jan 17, 2019
Closing Date: Feb 1, 2019 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
Department: Financial Strategies and Budget
Work Location(s): Chancery Hall, 5th Floor, 3 Sir Winston Churchill Square Edmonton T5J 2C3