Manager, Planning & Reporting
The Alberta Teachers' Retirement Fund Board (ATRF) is an organization that takes pride in our outstanding investment management and exceptional plan member services, resulting in more than $16 billion of assets under management on behalf of more than 80,000 plan members.
As a growing and diverse organization, we're building for the future and require the skills and talents of people like you. Join our team in Edmonton, Alberta and be part of a high-performing, collaborative group that shares a purpose and a commitment to excellence.
ATRF has created this critical new position of Manager, Planning & Reporting, to lead the development of budgets, forecasts and corresponding data analysis which guides ATRF’s financial planning and ongoing business management. This position is accountable for facilitating the corporate strategy and planning process, managing the budget cycle including financial analysis reporting, monitoring actuals against budgets, benchmarking, and modernization initiatives. Reporting to the Controller, the Manager, Planning & Reporting collaborates with stakeholders to provide regular financial and analytical insights to business performance and drives the organization’s achievement of strategic and financial objectives.
- Manage the financial statement audit, including coordinating the provision of information to external auditors, resolve audit issues, and review audit reports;
- Deliver ATRF’s financial statements and related financial sections for the annual report;
- Expand management reporting framework, in collaboration with stakeholders to understand needs;
- Transform financial data into meaningful information to enhance strategic and operational decision-making within complex, regulatory environments;
- Lead the definition and development of corporate, department and project budgets;
- Develop a corporate budget framework and ensure consistent application across all areas;
- Develop and maintain appropriate practices for cost allocation and metric calculation and reporting;
- Collaborate with business units to procure information for building budgets and forecasts;
- Develop, facilitate, and maintain practices and procedures for ATRF’s strategic plan and business plan process;
- Conduct stakeholder sessions to ensure short and long-term strategic goals of the Board and Executives are met through effective planning, monitoring, reporting, with timely financial advice and analysis;
- Establish strong working relationships with key stakeholders;
- Provide decision support to stakeholders by gathering and analyzing required information;
- Develop a positive working relationship with all ATRF business units and position the Planning & Reporting team as a strong business partner in the organization;
- Drive the Finance vision, direction and strategies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in related fields such as Commerce or equivalent, accompanied by five years to less than ten years of relevant experience;
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation;
- Experience working with strategic management and business planning processes;
- Experience in audit and internal controls;
- Success leading teams in a finance business area;
- Experience in managing and leading technology-enabled and other changes;
- Demonstrates strong organizational agility;
- Working knowledge of global policies, compliance and regulations;
- Has strong business acumen;
- Expert in analyzing financial information;
- Able to actively listen, seek information and ask questions to ensure the understanding of underlying concerns of others;
- Excellent communication, consulting skills, with a collaborative approach, and a business partner;
- Able to articulate the financial position in an understandable manner to key stakeholders’;
- Understand issues and use appropriate communication strategies to influence wide and diverse audiences;
- Demonstrate extensive accounting and financial reporting knowledge;
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills;
- Strong attention to detail, with record of meticulous and organized work;
- Strong understanding of the CPA Canada Handbook and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
As one of Alberta's Top 70 Employers (2017, 2018) we offer a competitive compensation package which includes:
- 100% employer paid benefits, defined benefit pension plan, health & wellness spending accounts, paid volunteer time and much more.
- Excellent opportunities for professional growth and career development.
- Learning and development supported through ATRF's education reimbursement program.
- An engaging, inclusive culture where you can be you!
At ATRF, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are an organization that takes pride in ensuring the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background, and experience.