Vice President, Finance
- Nunastar Properties Inc.
- Edmonton - Head Office
- Job Industry
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Food Services, Real Estate Development, Sales & Leasing, Property Management
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
A Vice-President, Finance is required for a leading owner, operator and developer of hotel, commercial and residential real estate.
The Vice-President Finance is a key member of the Nunastar’s senior management team with primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the Company. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, finance, cash management, forecasting, job costing, insurance, employee benefits, financial accounting systems, key performance measure reporting and information technology (IT). From time to time, responsibilities may also include involvement in strategic planning, deal analysis, negotiations, legal and human resources issues.
Candidates must have a professional accounting designation (CPA) with at least 10 years of progressively increased responsibility preferably in real estate development, hotels, and/or property management. We offer a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic, collaborative and motivated working environment.
Vice-President, Finance is a key position on our senior management team playing a critical role in the success of our real estate operations and developments. On a day-to-day basis, the Vice-President, Finance reports directly to the Company’s President & COO with occasional reporting responsibilities to the Company’s CEO. The Vice-President, Finance works closely with the senior executive team including the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Investment Officer and Chief Financial Officer of the Company’s corporate parent, Touchstone Holdings Ltd.
The Vice-President, Finance is responsible for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the Company. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, finance, IT financial systems and management, cash management, budgeting and forecasting, construction accounting and job costing, performance reporting and dashboarding, support to operations and property management, lease and development investment analyses, and undertaking strategic and oversight roles in the management of the Company.
Nunastar Properties Inc. is a highly successful, well-established and growing real estate operator and developer in Northern Canada. Our unique heritage extends over 50 years with hotels, residential and commercial properties located in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories and Iqaluit, Nunavut with the Support Office located in Edmonton, Alberta. We own and operate The Explorer Hotel (Yellowknife, NT) and the Frobisher Inn and Astro Hill community (Iqaluit, NU). As one of the largest long-term investors in northern Canada, Nunastar has been a key innovator and contributor to economic growth in the Territories. We are proud of our history of creating new and expanded opportunities for the communities in which we do business.
At Nunastar, we succeed by providing exceptional service to our guests and residents in our top-rated properties. Our over 200 full and part-time staff live by our core values of accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, customers, community and people. Nunastar is a strong corporate citizen throughout Northern Canada, making major volunteer, in-kind, and financial contributions each year. We have established and funded a significant charitable endowment, Nunastar Fund for Northern Children.
Our mission is to create places where people love to stay, gather, work and play. Our vision is to advance our role as Northern Canada’s premier owner, developer and manager of hospitality, residential, and commercial properties and the best employer to work with.
The successful candidate will have the following:
Education & Professional Credentials:
- CPA is required
- A business degree specialization in finance and accounting is ideal
- Courses focused on accounting methods for LEAN, project accounting and operations systems is ideal
- Previous senior finance or accounting roles preferably within real estate development, hotel, and/or property management companies.
- At least 10 years of experience in progressively more responsible financial roles in a corporate environment.
- Experience with a public practice accounting firm would be an asset.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills paired with the ability to communicate, motivate and manage well at all levels of the organization and staff at remote locations.
- Proven problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- Demonstrated history of implementing systems and controls.
- Top-notch accounting and analytical skills.
- Strong working knowledge and experience in supporting IT systems with a focus on the delivery and management of reporting and services to internal and external customers.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- The energy, flexibility and commitment to work long hours as and when required to meet important deadlines.
- Leading, mentoring and inspiring a team of four accounting professionals (Corporate Controller and Accountants)
- Providing leadership in the development of and continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives.
- Providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts.
- Directing and overseeing all aspects of the finance & accounting functions of the organization.
- Evaluating and advising on the impact of long-range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies/processes and regulatory changes.
- Establishing and maintaining strong relationships with all members of the management team to identify their needs and seek a full range of business solutions.
- Providing management with advice on the financial implications of business activities.
- Overseeing preparing year-end financial statements and managing relationship with external accountants.
- Managing processes for financial forecasting, budgets and consolidation and reporting to the Company.
- Providing recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Assessing financial results on a monthly basis and creating a high level of performance accountability within the operations group.
- Ensuring effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable Canada-wide, provincial/territorial and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Managing banking and insurance relationships.
- Creating and assessing ROI projections for prospective projects and acquisitions.
- Preparing financing documents for sourcing construction and long-term financing.
First Year Deliverables | Measures of Success:
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to deliver the following measures of success:
- Ensure the finance team composition is appropriate, the team is aligned and positioned for success. Through continuous improvements the finance and accounting processes are in place to deliver optimal value to the business.
- Contribute, through your behavior and results, to a positive, constructive culture within your team and more broadly through the organization.
- Provide stewardship that continues to strengthen the financial health of the organization.
- Continue to provide financial reports and analysis that build trust and confidence of management, owners, banking partners, external auditors and pertinent government agencies.
- Provide stewardship and advisory services in operations systems and processes for the most effective and efficient operation of the Company divisions.
- Be an active, valued voice at the senior management and executive tables providing strategic advice and guidance regarding the business, its profitability and growth objectives.
- Translate complex financial concepts into business information enabling others to utilize and make strong, effective business decisions.
If you are interested in applying, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Vice-President, Finance – Nunastar Properties Inc.” in the subject line. Nunastar thanks all applicants however only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.