Join a vibrant outdoor centric community filled with trails and breathtaking nature along the winding river valley of Red Deer, in Central Alberta. Red Deer is an economically dynamic region of Alberta situated directly between Edmonton and Calgary along the vital QE 2 corridor. It is a perfect blend of small town friendliness and big city conveniences. Host to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the 2019 Canada Winter Games, Red Deer continues to welcome all of Canada with open arms.
The City of Red Deer is currently seeking the right person to fill the Permanent Full-time position of Financial Analyst. This position is responsible for analysing, facilitating, developing and interpreting financial information and legislation in the budget, business process, systems and financial reporting areas. The Financial Analyst is also responsible for reporting, documenting, monitoring and reviewing controls and integrity. A high degree of professional judgement and independence is required in performing these duties while supporting City departments and maintaining strong working relationships with stakeholders.
As our preferred candidate, you will have:
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), or equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Five years related accounting experience, significant experience with complex financial applications in a computerized environment, and strong knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). Preference will be given for experience in:
- Implementation and upgrade experience for systems including setup and testing
- Project management and/or project teamwork
- Financial impact analysis and/or business process development and documentation
- Coordination of multi-departmental budgets or guidelines
- Development and implementation of process changes
- Budget monitoring/variance analysis
- Internal or external audit
- Experience with auditing.
- Experience with financial statement preparation.
- Experience with PC software such as Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word, Access, Microsoft Project and PowerPoint. Knowledge of PeopleSoft financial software an asset.
- Municipal fund accounting including the requirements of the MGA (Municipal Government Act) and the Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) etc.
- Ability to apply advanced accounting principles, knowledge and skills to the maintenance of a complex set of accounting and budgeting records. Ability to perform financial and budgetary analyses, prepare complete financial reports and complex account reconciliation.
- Ability to deal effectively, both verbally and in writing, with the public, other City departments and agencies, including in conflict situations. Must regularly communicate with software consultants, customers, vendors and other organizations such as the city’s external auditors, city solicitor, etc.
- Ability to work with considerable independence and to demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness in establishing and achieving business objectives.
What we offer:
In addition to the competitive wage of $46.80 to $49.26 per hour and an excellent benefits package, we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of likeminded professionals.
If you think this is the job for you, come build your career with The City of Red Deer.
We welcome applications until March 25, 2019.