Working under the direction of the Practical Experience Director, the Practical Experience Manager is responsible for the overall direction and management of the CPA Practical Experience Requirements program. This includes overall planning, implementation, and tracking of specific projects and operational tasks that support all Practical Experience Requirements processes by ensuring coordination and communication between support functions and by identifying and improving processes in support of departmental and organizational goals.
Please note that this is a part time (three days a week) 12 month contract position to cover a maternity leave, with the possibility of extension.
- Assist in the management of the Practical Experience department by overseeing the work and performance of staff, and creating departmental goals, plans and performance measurement.
- Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure timely, accurate, and consistent messages are delivered on matters related to Practical Experience Requirements.
- Review the work of Practical Experience Specialists and assist with more complicated Preapproved Program Route (PPR) applications, checking for quality and consistency before presentation to the Registrar.
- Ensure overall consistency between PPR applications and evaluations of candidate experience within Alberta and nationally through spot checks and supervision of calibration processes.
- Attend monthly national best practices meetings to ensure Alberta's interests are represented and understand the implications of any potential changes being made on a national basis for our candidates and employers. Participate in initiatives and recommend changes to national processes and policies.
- Assess international applicant experience and present recommendations on behalf of Alberta at quarterly committee meetings.
- Monitor Preapproved Program Route growth initiatives and develop strategies to ensure goals are met.
- Must be a Chartered Professional Accountant in good standing with a Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline.
- At least 4 years of post designation experience with a minimum of 2 years managing staff within a public practice environment.
- Familiarity with the CPA Practical Experience Requirement and Preapproved Program Route programs a benefit.
- Proven ability to plan, organize, and execute projects according to established business plans.
- Ability to work in a fluid, changing environment.
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills.
- Ability to explain and demonstrate technical knowledge and application in a practical manner.
- Works well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work within a team and independently.
- Values and Ethics
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Organizational Awareness
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Results Management
- Risk Management
- Team Leadership
- Strategic Thinking
- Fast paced work environment.
- Some travel, including overnight, may be required.
- Some work outside of regular hours, including weekends, may be required.
Location: Edmonton or Calgary