Director, Financial Services
Competition: 19-39 Director, Financial Services
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Position Type: 1 Permanent Full-time, (Management) [Internal/External Posting] Classification: Pay Group VII
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found
Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS) is an organization with people at its core. Our values of quality, service, and accountability are present in all that we do in our relentless pursuit of excellence in pension administration, to serve those who serve Albertans. We rely on our employees to bring their expertise to the table every day.
APS is recruiting for a Director, Financial Services.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance and CFO, the Director, Financial Services (the Director) provides a wide range of financial services to APS and the pension plans administered by the Corporation. This position plays an integral role in the leadership of the financial services department and is an important contributing member of the senior management team.
The Director has direct responsibility for the preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements and reports, analytical operational reports, preparation of strategic and financial plans, cost recovery and expenditure accounting, development and administration of financial systems and the development and maintenance of financial policies and procedures. The Director will also oversee the treasury management and select corporate and pension plan accounting functions on behalf of several of our clients.
In addition, this position assumes responsibility for the corporate contracting processes and tax compliance as an employer and as a plan administrator. The design and monitoring of effective internal controls is an important aspect to this role to assist in managing risks of the Corporation. This role manages the teams that collect approximatley $3.5 billion in pension contributions as well as the team that is responsible for paying over 100,000 pensioners approximately $2.5 billion annually. This is the culmination of everything we do at APS, paying our pensioners and doing it accurately and on time.
The role requires a high degree of interpersonal and organizational skills to ensure collaborative relationships are developed and maintained at all levels in the business.
• Professional accounting designation: CA, CMA, CGA.
• 10 years of directly related senior management experience.
• Equivalencies may be considered.
• Accounting standards and Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAB), Canadian accounting standards for pension plans, Income Tax Act (ITA) and best practices.
• Budgeting, forecasting and business plan preparation.
• Defined benefit public sector pension administration business.
• Pertinent legislation and official guidelines, e.g. New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA) and Agreement on International Trade (AIT) for procurement.
• Financial reporting and corporate performance.
• Internal control principles and procedures.
• Coaching and mentoring staff.
• Excellent communication skills including interpersonal, written, verbal and presentation abilities.
• Advanced research and analytical skills.
• Strong leadership and team collaboration skills in a complex environment coupled with an ability to take ownership of opportunities and issues.
• Tactfully work and build relationships with personnel in all levels of the organization including key stakeholders and senior corporate management.
• Effective motivator with the ability to create a culture of teamwork and to empower others.
• Superior negotiation and conflict resolution skills with an ability to deal with conflicting issues, roadblocks, dependencies and change.
• Exceptional time management skills and an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks including potential competitive and conflicting priorities and time pressures.
• A self-starter who is highly adaptable and sees change and challenges as opportunities.
• Strong sense of personal and business integrity and commitment to ethical business behavior.
• Assesses risks and how they can be mitigated effectively.
• Acts with integrity and maintains confidentiality.
• Takes responsibility and ownership for the tasks assigned, actions taken and decisions made.
• Builds teams, coaches and mentors others.
• Manages vendor relationships and contracts.
• Communicates ideas and processes concepts with ease and clarity.
• Secures cooperation and commitment from peers in other departments and divisions.
• Makes decisions based on financial and economic analysis.
• Takes on challenges and works effectively under high levels of change.
APS offers a comprehensive and flexible benefit package.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for.
Please Note: If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please send a separate submission for each competition. The successful candidate(s) will be required to undergo a security screening as a condition of employment. This job posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies within APS at the same or lower classification.
Thank you for your interest in Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS). Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.