Manager, Compliance & Eligibility, Research Accounting, Finance
The Research Accounting Department within Finance is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Manager, Compliance & Eligibility.
Research Accounting, a unit within the Finance portfolio, is responsible for the post-award financial administration of research and non-research funds for the University.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Research Accounting, the Manager, Compliance & Eligibility will assist in leading the Compliance and Eligibility team to provide and promote post award research accounting support and service across campus. This position is responsible for ensuring that the team meets its operating requirements and that internal and external project funds are being administered in compliance with agency or University policies and guidelines, and that proper internal controls are in place and adhered to.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Manage a team of senior administrators and administrators, provide guidance, support, training and mentorship to the team
- Responsible for all facets of employee management including recruitment, performance management, and terminations as required. Authorizes overtime and vacation for staff, and recommends promotions/increments for employees based on performance
- Manage day to day workflow for team to ensure department targets are achieve and work allocation is appropriate.
- Select, train, manage, support, and evaluate staff; provide feedback and development opportunities; coach the performance of individuals to achieve continuous improvement; stimulate and support creativity and innovation in others through strong leadership
- Perform business and systems analysis and provide advice on business issues including changes to application tools, existing systems, processes, procedures, reporting and control functions
- Act as a resource to management to provide accurate, reliable and timely special reports
- Provide advice and guidance and respond to requests for information from both internal and external users
- Ensures audit trails or supporting documentation for all financial transactions will be available when required by sponsoring agencies
- Withholds or withdraws approval of expenditures proposed by a Grant Holder if it contravenes the sponsor's requirements or the U of C policies
- Remains current on factors that would initiate change, such as University policies and procedures, granting agency regulations, research and trust administration practices and technology changes
- Develops tools for staff (checklists / procedures) to facilitate efficiency and consistency in the financial review of project charges
- Promotes and implements best practices related to financial review of transactions
- Identify improvements to existing systems and process and bring forward ideas to Associate Director for review
- Ensure that communications are timely, informative and appropriately represent Research Accounting and the University
- Manage challenging interpersonal interactions with composure and diplomacy while maintaining confidentiality
Qualifications / Requirements:
- A professional accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA) with a Bachelor of Commerce degree. Equivalencies may be considered
- 5 years of extensive experience in various accounting functions including budgeting, forecasting and financial analysis
- 3-5 years of supervisory/management experience in leading a large team in a high volume and dynamic environment
- Strong leadership skills are required
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and to handle difficult situations while maintaining effective and productive working relationships
- Must be able to think logically, solve problems, and be critically objective with an ability to develop innovator solutions to problems
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written communications skills are required
- Ability to communicate effectively with faculty, administrators and staff is essential
- Understanding of various funding agency guidelines and policies is an asset
- Understanding of university policies and procedures is an asset
- Knowledge of University business systems is an asset
Application Deadline: July 14, 2019
To apply please visit the University of Calgary Career's page, Job Opening 18566
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Mangement Career Band, Level 1 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
More search results
Senior Associate, Investments
Invico Capital Corporation
Board Member - Volunteer
Canadian Parks & Wilderness Society (CPAWS) - Southern Alberta Chapter
Accountant, Fixed Assets - (Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
Manager of Accounting & Controls
Silvera For Seniors