Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, are goal focused and passionate about working with the latest software systems – then come be a part of our team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Director, Finance, the Accountant is responsible for the timely and accurate delivery of finance and accounting services including reporting, analysis, monitoring controls/performance and developing policies/procedures in accordance with applicable accounting standards, legislation, regulations and best practices. This includes monthly/quarterly and annual reporting, supporting budgeting and forecasting; developing and enforcing policies and procedures and supporting the Finance department in the achievement of the objectives and delivery of finance services.
- Timely and accurate Financial Reporting and analysis
- Maintain on-going key financial documentation including the General Ledger and Subsidiary Ledgers; the Chart of accounts, reporting trees, financial reporting templates and supporting schedules/documentation.
- Administration and coordination of full cycle accounting and financial processes including month end/ quarter end and year end reporting; monthly reconciliations for Bank accounts AR, and AP and facilitating internal/external audit processes.
- Develop and maintain accumulated surplus and other reserve frameworks.
- Review APEGA branch financial operations and financial results. Record branch financial result in monthly/quarterly/annual financial information and review APEGA branch operations for compliance with relevant policies and procedures.
- Coordinate all financial areas of APEGA Pension funds including developing a working relationship with the service providers, ensuring accurate and complete financial documentation, prepare financial statements and facilitate external audits.
- Complete regulatory filings and remittances to comply with provincial and federal government requirements (excluding payroll deductions).
- Provide support in the preparation of Financial Statements and assist in the development of standard internal reporting practices to support management in the analysis and evaluation of financial information.
- Support the development and maintenance of financial controls, budgets and forecast processes.
- Assist in the implementation of APEGA's financial operations, strategic direction, controls, policies and procedures.
- Develop and update applicable policies and procedures for the standardization of APEGA's financial practices and the alignment of the practices to industry standards
- Use financial control measures to identify and monitor standards and performance and identify operational gaps.
- Provide backup and support to the Controller for payroll processing
- Identify opportunities for automating manual processes to improve efficiency and recommending new features for system enhancement.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of Finance Initiatives.
- Actively collaborate with the development, preparation and documentation of cash management strategies.
- Application of key initiatives that support the organization's financial sustainability, effectiveness, and operational efficiency, as approved by Director, Finance
- Keep current with relevant developments and trends in the accounting profession, including updating the Controller and Director, Finance on new and emerging changes (I.e. taxation legislation, GAAP standards etc.)
- Provide Quality Customer Service, building an excellent working relationship with all clients including the Finance team, other staff, members, permit holders, applicants, volunteers and vendors.
- Assist in the delivery of value-added financial services to the organization that reflect the business objectives of the Finance team.
- Rectify and follow-up with any issues or concerns raised, escalating when necessary
Skills & Attributes
- Working Knowledge of GAAP and current accounting principles, standards and best practices
- Knowledge of confidentiality protocols and privacy requirements
- Knowledge of business planning and financial management
- Knowledge of self-regulating professions and regulatory environments
- Working knowledge of pension accounting and related pension funds financial information
- Awareness of the EGP Act and how it is administered.
- Excellent strategic communication skills, to portray ideas, project and process concepts, verbally and in writing with ease and clarity
- Plan and troubleshoot to address issues and roadblocks as they arise
- Proficient research and document management skills
- High proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel and Outlook) easy adaptability to ERP software (eg. Microsoft Dynamics GP)
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work effectively and productively in a team environment.
- Functions with a high degree of independence, sets priorities and meet time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to deliver exceptional professional customer service.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy to provide effective financial analysis
- Post-secondary degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or a related field combined with a CPA designation
- Combined with 3-5 years of full cycle accounting, including financial statements preparation, reporting, analysis.
- Experience administering a mid-size ERP would be considered an asset.
- Prior experience in a not-for-profit organization is an asset.
- Equivalencies may be considered.
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at HR@apega.ca.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.