David Aplin Group, one of Canada's Best Managed Companies, has partnered with The Canapen Group to hire a Controller based in Edmonton. The Canapen Group owns and manages the direct commercial real estate investments for the CN Investment Division (CNID).
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual who has an interest in real estate investment management and development. The role leads a small team across Finance, IT and Administration that will also work closely with the investment team at CNID in the Montreal Head Office.
Reporting to the Manager, Real Estate Investments at CNID, the position will oversee the full accounting cycle for several incorporated entities including monthly and annual reporting. The role will also act as a liaison to major commercial real estate co-owners with respect to co-ownership accounting matters and to General Partners’ accounting professionals with respect to U.S. real estate private equity investments and will have frequent communication with corporate, real estate and tax legal counsel.
- Preparing and overseeing the timely production of accurate financial statements for all direct entities
- Prepare monthly reporting package for direct held real estate investments and entities (fair value summary, reconciliation of value, changes in value, and intercompany amounts)
- Prepare and/or review working paper files
- Co-ordinate external audit activities and evaluate internal control environment addressing any issues
- Assess accounting operations and design and implement process improvements
- Evaluate and implement improvements to accounting-related systems as necessary
- Communicate with co-ownership representatives to ensure accounting and reporting needs are met
- Prepare annual budget and maintain monthly cash flow budgets for all companies on a 12-month rolling basis
- Assist with development of and review annual capital and operating budgets
- Prepare a consolidated private equity investment report for management and provide additional private equity information as needed.
- Review annual tax returns and ensure compliance with GST regulations
- Manage HR functions including payroll, benefits administration, hiring and training administrative and accounting team members
- Manage corporate regulatory requirements: filing annual returns, maintenance of corporate records (minutes, registers, registrations)
- Participation in the development of real estate strategy for the group and assist CNID with due diligence and onboarding for potential direct real estate and real estate private equity investments
The Ideal Candidate:
- Professional accounting designation as well University degree in a related field
- Ability to work autonomously within a team setting demonstrate knowledge of accounting standards for private enterprises (ASPE)
- Strong problem-solving, financial and analytical skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Experience in the commercial real estate sector, as well as experience with YARDI Voyager is an asset
- Strong communications skills and ability to lead a team
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize workloads
If you are interested in this position and meet the above criteria, please click the Apply button to send your resume in confidence directly to Declan Bird, Consultant, Aplin Accounting & Finance. Visit our website at www.aplin.com to view our job opportunities, career tips, and tools. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
WE APPRECIATE YOUR INTEREST IN DAVID APLIN GROUP.
If this is your first introduction to us, we invite you to become one of our satisfied candidates. David Aplin Group has been Canadian owned since 1975. Our professional consultants are passionate about helping you find a fulfilling job or career and ensuring your complete satisfaction with our process. Our proven track record, nearly four decades long, is largely due to our team of highly skilled and successful specialists. Through superior service and a commitment to long-term relationships, we provide deep specialization in core areas for complete recruiting and HR solutions across Canada - all from one source. We look forward to exceeding your expectations!
Learn more about David Aplin Group and view all of our current job opportunities, career tips, and tools at www.aplin.com.