The VP Finance for Nanalysis is responsible for the organization’s strategic financial management and maintaining the trust from stakeholders in the integrity of publicly filed financial statements. The VP Finance reports to the CEO and reports and advises the Audit Committee Board of Directors with quarterly updates and as is required by the organization.
This position provides the CEO with timely and accurate financial information on the basis of which the CEO can make informed decisions concerning the short, medium and long-term direction of the organization. To this end, the VP Finance defines, establishes and oversees the internal financial structures and systems including accounting, budgeting and asset management.
The VP Finance is responsible for ensuring the soundness of the financial internal control systems and compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) as a Canadian publicly traded company.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in strategic, business, financial and human resource planning, coordinating the preparation of budgets for the organization and commercial bank.
- Lead an accounting/finance department of three staff and play a role in the overall administration and management of the firm.
- Responsible for day-to-day financial operations of the organization including: operating cash-flow, management of the general ledger, banking, investments, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, government reporting and remitting.
- Driving and overseeing upgrading of accounting systems, as well as performing an assessment of ERP implementation, that is suitable for the size and nature of Nanalysis.
- Monitor the revenues and expenditures of the organization compared to budget and explain variances. Provision of appropriate performance reports to departments
- In addition to providing financial reports to CEO and the Board of Directors, the VP Finance provides the management team with the financial and business process information they require to do their jobs optimally.
- Preparation of quarterly F/S for external distribution along with meaningful MD&A.
- Preparation of AIF and any regulatory documents required by the organization, as determined by the CEO and Board of Directors.
- As authorized by the organization’s CEO and Board of Directors, endorse cheques, contracts and other legal documents on behalf of the organization.
- Liaise with external financial accountants and ensure production of annual audited financial statements.
- Oversee financial elements of strategic partnerships with outside entities.
- Work with HR to maintain personnel files for employment information and salary verification; track vacation, leave, sick time and overtime.
- Review and challenge certain external invoices from accounting and legal firms.
- Coordinate all payroll requirements, including new hires, terminations and salary adjustments.
- Administer employee benefits plan.
- Maintain banking relations.
- Liaise with legal advisors on financial matters.
- Lead financial Due Diligence and ultimately integration for an aggressive multi-pronged acquisition strategy over the coming three year.
- Other related work may be required.
Education, Experience, Skills & Abilities:
The VP Finance will be seasoned and mature professional with at least 10 years of broad finance management experience, preferably with pubco and M&A experience. The VP Finance will ideally have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, reporting) for startups and/or small manufacturing with international clients and multiple funding sources, including government (Federal and provincial and international)
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) and degree with a related university degree.
- Proficiency in accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks) and electronic payment systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (in particular Excel, Word)
- Excellent organizational, analytical, research and time management skills.
- Ability to work in an open and consultative communication style.
- Capacity to work both independently and as a strong team player and leader, demonstrating flexibility, adaptability, timeliness and responsiveness.
- Ability to set priorities, to act decisively and to exercise a high degree of initiative, diplomacy and judgment on a wide range of issues, especially when dealing with confidential matters.
- Superior skills in building and maintaining productive and supportive working relationships, and dealing with others in a professional and respectful manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel extensively.