Payroll Accounting Manager
- Alberta Health Services
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- $40.32 - $69.09 per hour
- Job Industry
- Health Care and Social Services
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Payroll Accounting Manager
Requisition #: ALB00115097
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Job Type: Regular Full Time
Salary: $40.32 - $69.09 per hour
We care for people. Together. Alberta Health Services (AHS), the largest health care provider in Canada, is an organization focused on providing safe, high-quality, patient- and family-centred care. AHS have been recognized as one of the Top 70 Employers in Alberta, Top 100 Employers in Canada, as well as, a Top Employer for Young People, and Top Employer for Diversity.
AHS offers a challenging work environment that provides opportunities for personal achievement and career growth. AHS also supports on-going professional development through internal and external educational opportunities. Eligible employees enjoy a full range of benefits including life insurance, short term disability, long-term disability, Local Authority Pension Plan, as well as a flexible benefit plan that includes medical, dental, and extended health care benefits. An exciting opportunity exists within the Finance team for a Payroll Accounting Manager.
This is a leadership role that is responsible and accountable for providing strong financial governance for a large and complex payroll of over 100,000 employees. You will be responsible for providing direction, leadership and organization of activities of the Finance Division in support of the vision, mission and business plan of Alberta Health Services.
The Payroll Accounting Manager is responsible for a dynamic department within finance with responsibility over all financial transactions relating to compensation, validation of that information and reporting on compensation.
Key responsibilities include: Staff Resource management – providing leadership, planning and direction to Payroll Accounting staff through expert advice, interpretation of policies and procedures, and resolution of issues relating to daily operating activities. This includes coordination and allocation of workload assignments, managing staff performance, supporting departmental and individual goal setting and review of staff performance. Daily operations – oversee operations to ensure quality, reliability and timeliness of financial information. Project Management – as AHS is continually looking for ways to improve, a key component of the position is participation in organizational projects involving compensation accounting, process improvements and development of relevant financial policies and procedures. Strategic Planning and compliance - set annual goals for the Payroll Accounting department, and work with staff on individual goal setting. Evaluate departmental policies, procedures and internal controls and develop and implement changes where necessary. This includes acting as liaison in developing interdepartmental policies and procedures to ensure areas with financial impact (ie. Payroll, Pensions, Benefits) incorporate the necessary financial requirements.
- University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related discipline is required.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a financial environment within a large organization.
- An additional minimum of 3 years management experience in a related role is required.
- Experience in managing and leading a team consisting of at least 5 direct reports.
- A demonstrated clear pattern of professional and personal development.
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA or equivalent).
- Business knowledge of the health care industry.
- Knowledge of payroll accounting.
- Experience working within a unionized environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS).
- Knowledge and demonstrated application of business planning and project management experience.