Team Lead, Market Oversight
Team Lead, Market Oversight
The Alberta Securities Commission is the industry-funded regulator responsible for administering the province's securities laws. It is entrusted with fostering a fair and efficient capital market in Alberta and with protecting investors. As a member of the Canadian Securities Administrators, the ASC works to improve, coordinate and harmonize the regulation of Canada's capital markets.
The Market Regulation division oversees the equity and derivative marketplaces, registrants (dealers, advisers, and investment fund managers), market infrastructure entities and industry self-regulatory organizations. With a dynamic team of investment and financial professionals, we are involved in leading-edge projects aimed at balancing effective regulation with our stakeholders’ need for innovation and efficient capital markets.
Reporting to the Manager, Market Oversight, this newly created position will be responsible for leading, mentoring and managing a team of experienced, professional staff to proactively identify and analyze risks in Alberta’s capital market and develop regulatory solutions to address those risks. The Market Oversight team carries out risk-based oversight of all regulated market infrastructure entities in the equity and derivatives markets in Alberta to ensure integrity and the fair and efficient operation of the markets. The Team Lead, Market Oversight will be responsible for continuing to develop and implement a practical, intelligent oversight framework for entities subject to regulation in Alberta. This position will also be responsible for scheduling and prioritizing work flow, and reviewing work product, memos and submissions to management and executive. The Team Lead, Market Oversight will work closely with other regulators across Canada, and will communicate ideas and recommendations directly to ASC executive management.
- Providing operational direction and leadership to the Oversight team in consultation with the Manager, Market Oversight.
- Overseeing the team’s oversight and compliance activities for equities and derivatives exchanges, clearing agencies and other market infrastructure entities subject to regulation in Alberta.
- Overseeing the performance of oversight reviews of regulated entities, including conducting annual risk assessments, planning and execution of on-site examinations, conducting exit interviews with senior management, preparing reports and presenting the results of findings to ASC executive management.
- Ensuring the department’s internal oversight framework appropriately mitigates existing and emerging market- and entity-specific risks and is appropriately harmonized with similar oversight frameworks in other Canadian jurisdictions.
- Overseeing the Oversight team: recruiting and retention, setting individual and team goals, conducting performance evaluations, managing human resource issues, and ensuring the team has proper resources to meet departmental objectives.
- Providing analysis, advice and recommendations with respect to matters involving the operations and regulation of regulated entities.
- Analyzing complex information, researching, interpreting legislation, and drafting technical and analytical reports and documents.
- Representing the ASC on CSA committees, to ensure consistent application of securities law, harmonization of oversight practices, and advance the ASC’s views.
- Working closely with the Market Regulation Legal Department, providing input to help ensure that rule and policy development in relation to regulated entities is balanced, well-designed and appropriately addresses identified risks.
- Participating in various short-term and long-term projects in support of divisional, operational and strategic initiatives.
- Reporting quarterly and annually to the Manager, Market Oversight, and Director, Market Regulation on exchange and marketplace operations, including performance against benchmarks.
- Providing the Manager, Market Oversight, and Director, Market Regulation with accurate and timely information regarding market oversight matters and activities and report on the results of oversight activities to ASC executive management.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A university degree in business, finance, economics or a related discipline and a CPA, CA designation.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in roles of increasing responsibility conducting audits and examinations, including supervisory and/or management experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Exceptional research and analytical skills, incorporating attention to detail, and the ability to think critically and creatively.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Experience drafting memorandums to senior management.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel at various levels of an organization.
- A practical and responsive approach to problem solving and priority management.
- The proven ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities in a changing environment.
- A working knowledge of Alberta’s capital markets with exposure to regulation, compliance and marketplace and exchange operations is preferred.
Visit our website to submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations by October 5, 2019. More information about working at the ASC including our comprehensive Total Rewards package can be found on our website at www.albertasecurities.com. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.