Manager, Accounting (Land & Housing Division)
- Dream Asset Management Corporation
- Calgary, AB
- Job Industry
- Real Estate Development, Sales & Leasing, Property Management
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Dream is looking for an Accounting Manager
We are always looking for the best and brightest to join our thriving community. Dream’s Finance team is currently looking for an Accounting Manager to oversee the Accounting and Accounts Payable functions for the Alberta Land & Housing team, along with the Treasury function for Western Canada Land & Housing.
Who are you?
There’s a lot happening at Dream, and it’s happening fast. Are you passionate, dedicated, and highly analytical? Do you love working with people? If so, read on. We want to hear from you.
Over the 5+ years you’ve worked in an progressive accounting function you’ve proven that you are not afraid to think outside the box to find the best approach to achieve results. You are proactive, leading by example rather than sitting back. You consider the bigger picture when focusing on new initiatives and you thrive on driving improvement and efficiency.
We want to bring on someone who is eager to learn, work hard, and have fun. In other words, we want you to fit in here. This is an opportunity for you to take on responsibilities, build on your already strong skill set and help your team achieve its goals, all in a work environment that is fast-paced, dynamic and fun.
What will you do?
Below are some of the primary responsibilities you will be taking on in this role. There will be more, but we can discuss those in person.
- Responsible for overseeing Accounting and Accounts Payable for the Alberta Land & Housing team, along with the Treasury function for Western Canada Land & Housing
- Responsible for the Department’s general ledger and chart of accounts and ensuring that all financial reporting is in accordance with company policy and generally accepted accounting principles (IFRS)
- Act as the local finance lead by learning and owning the financial results and develop a deep understanding of the operations to assist in the identification of risks / key areas of opportunity for the business
- Own all aspects of the general ledger, transactional processing and cash requirements including:
- the accurate / timely monthly close process (close completed on Day 1)
- ensuring the integrity of the general ledger consistent with corporate accounting practices
- maintaining organized and efficient reporting / working papers for all financial balances and statistics
- Prepare / review journal entries and review / approve purchase orders and invoices related to our local shared administrative expenses
- oversee transactional processing including local AP administration to ensure consistency with corporate accounting practices
- review and approve the cash requirements for the local businesses
- Lead and manage a team of accounting staff
- Ensure local compliance with corporate internal control framework
- Own all management and local business reporting including preparation of monthly management packages
- Initiate / lead monthly meetings with local business leads to review budget v. actual and KPIs
- Assist with the input, development and analysis of budgets and actively participate in the reforecast process
- Assist in the development and local rollout of corporate / divisional initiatives
- Establish and maintain a strong working relationship with the operations team
- Prepare year-end working papers for the external audit process and ad-hoc analysis for our businesses
What type of experience and skills do you have?
These are only some of the things we’d like you to bring to the table. We can cover the rest when we meet.
- We’d like you to have completed a post-secondary degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration and your Professional Accounting Designation (CPA/CA/CMA/CGA).
- 5+ years’ experience in an accounting function of which two were in a managerial capacity leading a team.
- Previous experience with a Land Developer and Home Builder is an asset.
- Advanced proficiency with Excel and previous experience with JD Edwards would be an asset.
Who are we?
Land & Housing
Dream’s Land & Housing division is one of the largest developers in Western Canada. We are proud to build on our track record of developing communities in Canada’s largest cities and are dedicated to building the best homes. Together, we build better communities by providing Canadians with a wide selection of beautiful, high-quality homes in communities that answer their needs and fit their lifestyles.
Dream Unlimited Corp. is a leading Canadian real estate company with approximately $14 billion of assets under management in Canada and Europe. We develop, manage, and invest in master-planned communities, income properties, and urban intensification. We proudly build communities from the ground up: from land development to buildings homes and condominiums, and from providing retail centres and driving renewable energy projects to managing assets across the country.
Our attitude and approach sets us apart from our competitors. We are guided by our entrepreneurial spirit: we seize unconventional opportunities and try new things, approaching every project with passion and purpose.
We care about our employees. We want everyone to have a rewarding career and to work with people they like, so we provide exciting work opportunities, open work environments, and fun events. We hire constant learners, so we make sure to provide them with engaging work and to encourage them to share their ideas that will help us shape the company.
Once you join us, it won’t take long to figure out why your colleagues like it so much here.
This is your invitation to make a difference. We’re looking forward to helping you grow.
Dream Unlimited is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process