Lead, Capital Budgets
- Calgary Board of Education
- Calgary, Alberta
- $79,987 - $113,750
- Job ID 38132
- Job Industry
- Education, Finance, Other
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Job Title: Lead, Capital Budgets
Job ID: 38132
Location: Education Centre
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Union Code: Exempt Admin and Supervisory
Each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first. Learning is our central purpose. Public education serves the common good.
The CBE strives to create a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative culture. We value diversity and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.
$79,987 - $113,750
This is an exempt position in the Administrative and Supervisory Personnel (ASP) group.
Purpose and Accountability
Reporting to the Manager, Corporate Planning and Reporting, this position is responsible for all financial reporting and matters relating to capital projects for the Calgary Board of Education.
This position is accountable for:
- Preparing the capital budget, tracking and monitoring capital expenditures;
- Preparing quarterly capital status reports and financial reports relating to capital expenditures;
- Maintaining the fixed assets sub ledger and the performance of all related transactions; and
- Co-ordinating all capital requests and amendments from schools and departments for the capital budget on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinates the process for the development of and amendments to the annual capital budget. Requests and receives all capital budget requests and amendments from schools and departments. Prepares recommendations and reports for the Capital Budget Steering Committee. Prepares agendas and attachments for the Capital Budget Committee. Acts as a resource for the Capital Budget Steering Committee.
- Maintains records of all capital projects. Monitors expenditures for all capital projects and notifies relevant parties of any over-expenditure. Prepares journal entries and adjustments to capital project expenditures as required. Reviews financial reports for discrepancies and takes corrective action as required.
- Reviews specifications and any unique factors for capital projects. Ensures all staff in associated departments are aware of their roles and responsibilities relating to the capital budget. Coordinates information and processes with other work areas they relate to the capital budget.
- Prepares working papers for the Capital Budget Section including all statements and schedules according to Alberta Education Audited Financial Statements, reporting requirements and the CBE Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (Corporate Statements).
- Prepares audit files for use by external auditors in the year end audit, including review and co-ordination with the Corporate Financial Services Staff and other departments. Oversees the daily operation of the Fixed Asset Module of the Oracle Financial System. Performs management function within the Fixed Asset Module, including all setup functions. Prepares budgets for amortization expense, debenture interest expense and the revenue budget relating to provincially funded capital projects for inclusion in the operating budget.
- Serves as a liaison with Alberta Infrastructure/Alberta Education in relation to capital projects and associated funding. Reviews all verifications relating to debenture debt information for Alberta Education and Alberta Capital Finance Authority as required. Monitors progress and prepares claim submissions to Alberta Infrastructure/Education for projects under the provincial Infrastructure Maintenance Renewal (IMR) program. Co-ordinates submissions with the Design and Construction Services work unit to ensure Final Statement of Costs are prepared and submitted to Alberta Infrastructure/Education, as required.
- Provides financial and statistical analysis and reports to management as required. Prepares reports and attachments for quarterly monitoring reports to the Board of Trustees. Provides information on request to schools and departments for capital projects. Provides advice to schools and departments relating to matters affecting the capital budget. Participates on system committees as required.
- Oversees all documentation; financial reporting associated with provincially funded P3 school projects.
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- University degree in a business-related discipline or equivalent level in a professional designation program (CMA, CGA, or CA).
- Five years progressively more responsible accounting experience, preferably with a portion of this experience in the capital assets area.
- An equivalent combination of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies
- Proficiency in the use of computer applications including spreadsheets
- Knowledge of the capital budget process
- Good working knowledge of Oracle Financials or equivalent preferred
- Familiarity with pertinent sections of government legislation relating to capital funding and accounting procedures
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- Perceptive to changing demands and priorities
- Very good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently under general instructions and adhere to tight timelines
- Personal suitability
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to the Calgary Board of Education WHO ARE OFFERED EMPLOYMENT must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed.
We thank all candidates for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply
Apply to Job ID 38132 at www.cbe.ab.ca/careers