Specialist, Pension Asset Operations
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
CP’s defined benefit and defined contribution pension plans provide important financial security for employees and beneficiaries, which is a key factor in attracting and retaining talented railroaders at CP. The Canadian Defined Benefit plan, the company’s largest pension plan, has nearly $13 billion of assets invested in various types of investments in different markets around the world. The Pension Assets team provides important oversight for the company’s pension assets, ensuring that the pension plans remain well-funded and protecting the long-term financial wellness of the company and plan beneficiaries.
The Pension Assets team is responsible for overseeing the pension investments for the company’s pension plans, including investment strategy, implementation, operations, accounting and reporting. This provides exciting opportunities to learn about investment management, custody banking, cash management, performance monitoring, pension accounting, and internal/SOX controls.
The Specialist, Pension Asset Operations position offers an interesting and unique combination of responsibilities in pension investment operations, accounting and reporting, in addition to making important contributions in a number of other areas. The role also offers the opportunity to build and maintain strategic relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
This position will lead or make significant contributions in some or all of the following areas:
- Manage investment operations, accounting and reporting with a variety of external parties, including custodian banks, investment managers and external auditors;
- Oversee the pension plan’s operating account, including managing cash flows and executing transactions such as cash transfers, expense payments, capital calls, and FX transactions;
- Coordinate the design and preparation of internal controls and SOX controls to maintain a robust control framework;
- Lead the preparation of the annual financial statements for the company’s Canadian pension plans, including providing support to external auditors;
- Manage year-end reporting deliverables for the company’s financials, including providing support to external auditors;
- Maintain a robust governance policy framework and coordinate the administration of pension fund assets in compliance with governance policies;
- Prepare annual expense budgets and variance analysis.
- Undergraduate degree in Commerce, Accounting, Finance, Economics, or other relevant field;
- Working knowledge of accounting, corporate finance, treasury and investment concepts;
- Preference for CPA or candidate with demonstrated progress;
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience;
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational, time management and communication skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize a wide range of responsibilities;
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Self-motivated individual who can take initiative to drive change and work independently with limited oversight.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
Apply Here: https://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=76051&company=CPR&username=