Treasurer - Board of Directors
- IFSSA's central office in Downtown Edmonton
- Volunter position; some expenses may be reimbursed
- Job Industry
- Not-for-profit and Charitable Organizations
- Job Category
- Job Type
Established in 1992, Islamic Family and Social Services Association (IFSSA) is the first and only social service agency in Edmonton that is dedicated to providing a holistic approach to community well-being that is deeply rooted in the Islamic tradition. IFSSA runs programs that address food security, counseling, domestic violence, refugee sponsorship and settlement, emergency financial relief, preventative youth programming (The Green Room) and more.
A Board Member for IFSSA serves as the chief volunteer of the organization in achieving the organization’s mission. This position will guide and mediate board action with respect to organizational priorities and governance concerns.
IFSSA’s board is working to transition from an operational model that requires heavy direct involvement in IFSSA’s day-to-day operations to one that is a governance model with a strong strategic focus. Navigating this transition will take a unique skill set and commitment. Board members will need to balance maintaining the organization’s current operations with strategic planning and transition/growth activities. IFFSA approaches its donations & funds through values-based finance and, where possible, strives for Shariah-compliant options.
IFSSA is a cross matrix, funds based accounting organization with ~15 total funding sources, supported by government & community. IFSSA's systems are managed via Aplos.
The position requires financial expertise, dedication and patience. The role is critical to the organization. The treasurer is assisted by a paid part-time assistant for daily record/ bookkeeping. The treasurer reviews and maintains accounts on a monthly/quarterly basis. Responsibilities include the following:
Monthly (5 hours)
- Support preparation of monthly financial reports with bookkeeper/controller
- Steward funds based accounting & oversee allocations and coding
Quarterly (5 hours)
- Present financial update to the board and cover any discrepancies between the budget and current expenditure, and provide recommendations
Annually (20-30 hours)
- Creation of annual budget
- Oversee audit with 3rd party nominated auditor selected at Annual General Meeting
- Carry out auditor recommendations; currently IFSSA’s auditor is BDO Canada LLP
- Support year-end processing
As Needed (3-5 hours monthly)
- Provide financial guidance and insight on larger decisions to senior management and board.
- Adhoc committee support
- Oversee and review monthly internal financial health, and provide advice to program heads on financial health.
- Facilitate compliance with CRA, maintain charitable status and corporate registration.
- Provide guidance on budgeting, reporting and planning to program teams.
- Coach and educate the board on necessary financial literacy.
- Provide insight and strategic advice to the board and executive on an ad-hoc basis.
- Look for operational efficiencies & promote best practices.
- Prepare year-end financial statements & notes to the financial statements. Prepare reports to be presented at the Annual General Meeting.
Strategic Planning and Management of Growth
- Charts the future direction of IFSSA based on research and discernible benchmarks.
- Engage in generative discussions on IFSSA‘s purpose and mandate
- Formulate with the board, short & long-term strategy for IFSSA
- Set priorities and follow up on actions on a monthly, quarterly, annually and longer-term targets
- Evaluate the allocation of resources within the organization
- Has the ability to consider how the work of the Treasurer impacts the work of others and the organizations success
- Has the ability to challenge processes by constructively questioning and challenging the way things have always been done, when there is a clear opportunity for improvement
- Has the ability to integrate perspectives through awareness of own assumptions and perspectives and is open to new and different approaches and ideas
- Has strong ability to address conflict by recognizing when there is a conflict and respects the other person's point of view, identifies common purpose as well as differing perspectives and raises them for discussion
- Has the ability to build relationships by following through on commitments, demonstrating integrity, respect for others, and taking an interest in their work-related issues and activities
- The ideal candidate has a minimum of 5 years experience as CPA.
- Previous experience in non-profit boards would be a considerable asset but is not a requirement.
Please email email@example.com with an attached CV and 'Treasurer Application' in the title to be sent further instructions.
More search results
Volunteer Board Member
Kensington Sinfonia Society
Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
PFM Executive Search / Panorama Search Partners
Alvares & McLeod LLP, Chartered Professional Accountants
Senior Internal Auditor
Alberta Health Services