- Edmonton, AB
- $60,000 - $80,000 per year (under review)
- Job Industry
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, Not-for-profit and Charitable Organizations
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
If you are an experienced Accountant interested in working for an organization with the purpose of making a positive impact on the future of Alberta’s agriculture, then we want to hear from you! Inspired HR is recruiting, on behalf of our client, for a permanent full-time Financial Accountant.
Based in Edmonton, Alberta, Results Driven Agriculture Research (RDAR) is a non-profit organization that will fund priority agriculture research. RDAR is dedicated to producer-led research and will be tasked with guiding Alberta’s agriculture research priorities to ensure they reflect the needs of farm producers and others in the agriculture industry.
The Financial Accountant is responsible for carrying out a range of operational financial accounting functions for Results Driven Agriculture Research (RDAR) and assist with grant management processes. Within this role, the Financial Accountant will complete full cycle accounts payable, payroll processing, financial reports and records, financial audits and maintain RDAR’s operational accounting policies and procedures. The Financial Accountant will also assist with managing the grant process employed by RDAR.
- Completes full cycle of accounts payable including: cost analysis, vendor account reconciliation, invoice coding and entry, and payment processing (online banking).
- Monitors overall procurement process (including grants) to ensure compliance with RDAR’s policies (DOA, grant policy).
- Compiles, analyzes, and reconciles RDAR’s financial records for compliance, accuracy and completeness.
- Completes financial operational reporting and analysis (including actual vs budget, KPIs), working closely with RDAR management and external auditors to ensure compliance.
- Completes the reconciliation of RDAR’s payroll, benefits and RRSP interfaces to their general ledger.
- Completes month/year end procedures and reporting including bank, investment account, credit card reconciliations.
- Completes RDAR’s GST rebate filings, and other NPO tax filings.
- Oversees RDAR’s payroll functions (provided by a third party) by reviewing payroll runs prior to final approval from the Chief Financial Officer and completing annual T4/T4A reconciliation including source deductions.
- Ensures various supplier/vendor problems are resolved in accordance with established procedures and policies ensuring a high standard of customer service.
- Continually evaluates current processes for the opportunity to improve and re-implement revised processes for financial and operational efficiency.
- Researches and handles issues, concerns and problems arising from RDAR’s financial management system.
- Work closely with the Research Program Officers and Program Coordinators to review researchers’ financial reports and facilitate payments to schedule.
- Completes the quarter and year-end financial reconciliation and reporting requirements for all grant expenditures.
- Grant Reviews - review grant agreements and documentation to ensure accuracy, compliance and completeness of grant agreements in terms of financial requirements and overall contractual expectations and to ensure the adherence to various acts, legislation and ensure compliance with RDAR’s internal policies.
- Provide expertise and guidance to RDAR staff on the management and administration of funding agreements and grant programs to ensure compliance with various policies, acts and regulations.
- Reporting - develop and prepare financial reporting documents for all grant funding and complete the quarter and year-end financial reconciliation and reporting requirements for all grant expenditures
- Process Development and Improvement– provide input on grant program parameters, payment processes, internal controls, auditing procedures and auditable criteria that will ensure compliance with policy and adherence to policies, acts and regulations.
- Internal Audits – conduct regular audits and reporting on funded projects.
- Prepares initial draft of annual financial statements including note disclosures and supporting schedules.
- Prepares technical accounting memos, as requested for review and approval by CFO.
- Prepares monthly cash management (cash in- and outflows) needs with input from program coordinators and monitors overall cash position to assist with overall monitoring of cash for investment and grant application approval decisions.
- University degree in accounting complemented with a CPA designation.
- 4 years of related accounting experience working within financial systems and completing full cycle accounts payable, payroll, financial records and reports, financial audits and month/year end.
The position requires in-depth knowledge of:
- Generally applied accounting principles, rules and internal controls with the ability to interpret and apply applicable concepts.
- Various software packages, including but not limited to spreadsheets, word processing and database applications. (specific application will be added when known)
- Demonstrated ability to accurately calculate, post and correct accounting records.
- Various computer software systems; Word, Excel (advanced), Access, PowerPoint, MS Project, accounting systems (QuickBooks, Sage, Xero, Financial Edge NXT), etc.
The position requires the following skills and abilities:
- Proven high level of accuracy and attention to detail with excellent numerate and analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize, as well as ensure a high quality of work completed within acceptable timeframes.
- Ability to perform independent research and support conclusions reached e.g. technical accounting memos, accounting policies, changes to internal controls/processes.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to explain accounting concepts and implications to various internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively manage and monitor large volumes of financial data.
- Aptitude to operate with a high degree of independence with the ability to plan for and efficiently manage complex tasks.
More search results
Senior Cash Management Advisor
Strathcona County Human Resources
Accountant - Business Analyst
Assistant Controller - Budget and Financial Plann…
City of Spruce Grove
The Pint Group of Companies
Joly Heinzlmeir Chartered Professional Accountant