Director of Finance
- Rocky View Schools
- Airdrie, Alberta
- Job Industry
- Education, Finance, Government/Public Administration
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Director of Finance
Rocky View Schools
Bordering the City of Calgary to the north, west and east, RVS is Alberta’s fifth largest school division, serving the educational needs of over 25,000 students within 54 schools, located in the City of Airdrie, the Town of Cochrane, the City of Chestermere, and Rocky View County.
A rapidly growing school division, RVS employs more than 2,500 staff and its annual operating budget is approximately $275,000,000. RVS is in a strong financial position and known for its innovative culture. RVS’ Education Centre is located in Airdrie, one-half hour from downtown Calgary.
We are governed by eight elected trustees from both urban and rural wards. As stewards of the system, Rocky View’s Board of Trustees promotes an open and transparent learning system, taking very seriously its responsibility for setting directions, allocating resources, and monitoring and reporting student achievements.
RVS inspires a love of learning and community by engaging all learners through meaningful and challenging experiences, preparing them to understand, adapt and successfully contribute to the changing global community. For more information, please visit our website: www.rockyview.ab.ca.
The Rocky View area encompasses some of the fastest growing communities in Canada. With a wide range of housing options available in both new and established neighbourhoods, people are discovering that the area offers a small town or rural lifestyle with big-city amenities. Parks, recreation facilities, and walking/biking trails abound in the area. The jurisdiction borders Calgary where many staff choose to live. Just a short drive away, beautiful Kananaskis Country and Banff National Park provide a myriad of recreational opportunities.
The Director of Finance, under the general supervision of the Associate Superintendent of Business and Operations is responsible for the supervision and maintenance of the Division financial procedures and systems in accordance with the Board policy and provincial legislation. The Director of Finance is also responsible for overseeing the Purchasing, Payroll, Accounting, Insurance, Investments, Contacts under $100,000 in value, and Records Management Departments.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls and evaluates the operation of the finance departments and related services provided to the School Division
- Prepares and analyses all financial statement summaries, other cost benefit analyses and financial management reports
- Prepares and coordinates the annual audit conducted by the Board appointed external auditors
- Advises the Associate Superintendent of Business and Operations concerning any trends that are critical to the division’s financial performance
- Ensures that the Board’s insurance needs are met including complying with the Alberta School Act requirements
- Coordinates the preparation and presentation of Rocky View Schools’ annual budget
- Coordinates the financial auditing of school accounting records on a five-year cycle
- Manages short term investments
- Evaluates financial reporting systems, accounting procedures and investment activities and makes recommendations to changes to procedures, operating systems, budgets and other financial control functions to senior executive, principals and supervisors
- Coordinates the completion and submission of all grant claim forms
RVS seeks a proven, collaborative leader with 10+ years of professional accounting experience, with 5 of those years at a supervisory level.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, commerce or a related field is required
- Professional Accounting Designation is required
- Proven experience using industry wide tools to improve efficiencies
- Experience working closely with government agencies/ministries
- Experience creating and managing budgets
- Demonstrated ability to document processes and produce supporting materials to assist end users
- Excellent people skills, with proven experience in leading high-performance dynamic teams
- Proven track record of supervising and mentoring employees to achieve high performance
Please submit your cover letter and resume, including the names and contact information of three professional references, via https://rockyview.simplication.com, quoting Job Code #2918039 on or before October 1, 2020 by 4:30 pm.
Rocky View Schools
We appreciate and consider all applications; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be contacted via email or by phone for an interview. Please ensure your online profile information is up to date so there is no delay in contacting you.