Senior Tax Accountant
- North American Construction Group
- Acheson, AB
- Job Industry
- Oil & Gas/Mining Services
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
- Contract (includes summer)
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Reporting and Tax, the Senior Tax Accountant is responsible for identifying and assessing the tax implications for business transactions. They will lead the preparation of the quarterly tax provisions, annual corporate tax filings, monthly commodity tax filings and other required filings. They will be responsible for communicating with government bodies to support tax audits and supporting the government subsidy submissions.
This position is a temporary 16 month contract
- Prepare quarterly tax provisions and supporting schedules.
- Prepare annual income tax returns and other applicable filings.
- Prepare HST/GST/QST/PST monthly compliance returns. Identify and determine self-assessment taxes on qualifying transactions.
- Prepare and file annual T4A-NR and NR-4 returns.
- Recommend tax strategies by researching federal, state, and local taxation issues.
- Maintain legislative materials by reviewing, interpreting, and implementing new or revised laws.
- Correspond with federal, state, and provincial authorities, as needed. Ensure follow-up on notices of assessments and other tax correspondence.
- Manage tax audits through direct interaction and support to tax auditors.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Assist with the activities of third-party tax recovery firms and lead special projects as required.
- Tax Advisory Services to business Operations.
- Identifying areas of tax savings.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Accounting or Finance
- Strong understanding of accounting theory
- 5+ years accounting/finance experience relating to income and commodity taxes
- Good research skills are necessary
- Highly detail oriented and organized in work
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet assigned deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives
- Proficiency with email and Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results.
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA) or business degree.
- Enrolment or completion of the In-Depth Tax Program considered an asset