Director, Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer (Volunteer Position)
Position Description for
Cochrane and Area Humane Society (“CAHS”) Director, Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer (Volunteer Position)
CAHS is recruiting for an energetic volunteer to join its Board of Directors and act as its CFO & Treasurer.
- CPA professional accounting designation
- Experience in a senior management position with a minimum 7 years’ experience in accounting, audit, financial management and tax practices
- Attend monthly CAHS Board meetings
- Attend CAHS Annual General Meetings
- Serve on at least one Board committee
- Fundraising support and participation
- Membership in CAHS
DESIRABLE SKILL SET
- Experience with not-for-profit accounting principles
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and QuickBooks
Director duties include:
Act as a Director, participate in Board deliberations and decisions, serve on one or more Board committees.
CFO & Treasurer duties include:
- Financial Reporting - oversees the development of quarterly and annual financial statements and presents these to the Board.
- Budgeting and forecasting - assists management with the preparation of budgets and cash flow projections and their presentation to the Board.
- Audit – Prepares financial statements for external auditor review and liaises with the auditor.
- Compliance - ensures the following are prepared and filed on a timely basis: (i) annual Registered Charity Information Return; (ii) GST monthly and quarterly returns; and (iii) payroll tax remittances (currently handled by Ceridian).
- Financial policies - oversees the development of financial policies for approval by the Board.
- Internal controls – oversees accounting processes and recommends improvements to internal controls.
- Funds and investments - ensures that funds are retained in safe accounts and investments.
- Financial transactions - verifies that financial transactions are handled and reported appropriately; reviews invoices, cheques and bank reconciliations; ensures the accuracy of accounting records.
- Financial records - ensures that financial books and records are accurate and up-to-date.
- Signing officer – may act as a signing officer for cheques and other documents.
Board members may be initially appointed by the Board and are subsequently elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting for a two-year term. Board members may serve a maximum of three terms. The CFO & Treasurer is elected by the Board.
Approximately 15 hours per month
- Board Meetings
- Financial record/audit/tax review
- Attendance at special events
- Membership $25/year
- Special Events $300/year
Please note that this is a VOLUNTEER position and no compensation is offered. Interested applicants are invited to send a resume and cover letter to:
Cochrane & Area Humane Society
Attention: Nominations Committee, Jeff Paulson - Chair Email: email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Paulson, Chair of the Nominations Committee, at the above email address.
For more information about CAHS please visit our website: http://www.cochranehumane.ca.