Volunteer Controller for Youth Centres of Calgary (YCC)
YCC – Youth Centres of Ogden is a charitable organization that provides free after school drop-in activity and mentorship to youth, in grades five to ten, in the vulnerable and underserved community of Ogden in Calgary’s south-east. We know that many of Calgary’s youth struggle in school, have lives of neglect and poverty and are otherwise unable to access after school activity. After school is the time during which the majority of crime that happens within this cohort occurs. YCC provides youth was incorporated in 2O18 and has successfully provided homework help, sports, music lessons, a place to read, meet friends, have a daily hot meal, between the hours of 3 and 6 daily. YCC is a place for kids to “be kids” and safe, in a community that is economically and socially challenged. This model was developed by its founder and Executive Director when she operated another similar centre in Calgary’s NE and we believe that it can be replicated in other communities of Calgary, in a cozy home, walking distance from school and home and across from a green space. During covid, with many facing job loss and food insecurity, YCC has pivoted to provide “grab and go” lunch and snack packs, made in a commercial kitchen, as well as grocery packs, sports equipment, books and pantry food. The food is distributed outdoors, at 5 pop-up sites, including the Ogden site. Kids and families pick up the food, they connect with each other outdoors daily.
Description of Role:
YCC is seeking a volunteer to join our team reporting to the volunteer Treasurer. The successful candidate must capture all financial transactions, reconcile accounts, prepare financial reports and participate on the Finance Committee of the board.
The successful candidate must have:
• Strong accounting and finance skills and understand accounting related to not-for-profit organizations
• Ability to communicate in English
• Capture financial transactions accurately, payroll reconciliations, recording donations, (posting and applying bank deposits) and accounts payable (including processing credit card expense transactions, vendor bills, etc).
• Overseeing month-end close this includes reconciling balance sheet accounts, making journal entry adjustments and verifying accuracy of income statements.
• Provide forecasts by reviewing your balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flows.
• Meet all tax-related filing deadlines including payroll, GST and yearly filings.
• Provide financial requirements for grant applications.
• Keep the books of account and accounting records of the organization as required by law.
• Review and prepare proper financial statements to treasurer.
• Deliver audit-ready financials. Liaise with the treasurer/auditor to ensure the organization’s accounts are reviewed/audited as required by law.
• Provide advice and assist with financial planning and operating budgets.
Certification or Education Required:
Please email the Treasurer at email@example.com . Provide your resume and tell us about your experience with and/or interest in our organization and the skills and knowledge you are willing to bring to the position. Please include your contact information with email address and/or phone number where you can be reached.
CPA or currently in CPA program.
Experience with non-profit accounting would be an asset.
Committed to serving the needs of youth.
Willing to commit to 2 Years or more.
More search results
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
Director, Member Engagement and Technical Advisor…
Manager Internal Controls
Canadian Pacific Railway
Senior Accountant (Full Cycle)
Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
Full Time Auditor/Senior Accountant
EPR Yellowknife Accounting Professionals Corporation